It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Gumbo Help! 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Gumbo Help!
I am going to make a first attempt at a gumbo next weekend. I am using some leftover crawfish from a boil last year, and plan to add some shrimp.

This is my starting recipe, i would appreciate any tips, suggestions, or changes!

Ingredients:

2 lb andouille sausage, half inch sliced
4 cups okra, sliced
2 cup vegetable oil
2.5 cups flour
4 cups onions, chopped
4 cups celery, chopped
2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup garlic, minced
8 qt shellfish stock
4 lbs Idaho crawfish tails
1-2 lbs shrimp
2 cup green onions, sliced
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
tobasco
steamed white rice
3-4 bay leaves (as per Dog Walker)
1 tsp File' powder(per lastchance)

Directions:

Sauté andouille to render and brown, 5-7 minutes. Add okra and sauté for another 5-7 minutes. If the residue at the bottom of the pan is getting heavy or sticking, add 2 tbsp water and scrape until it is clean again. Remove okra and andouille, set aside. Return pot to medium-high heat, add oil. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until dark brown roux is achieved, the color of dark chocolate, this may take awhile. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté these vegetables until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add stock gradually, stirring well to incorporate with the vegetables and roux. Add the andouille, okra and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add crawfish tails, green onions, and parsley then stir, cover, simmer 5 more minutes. Adjust salt, black pepper and hot sauce to taste. Serve in a soup bowl over steamed white rice.

To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Gumbo Help!
For the roux I use a wooden spoon(with a flat bottom for scraping)not a whisk. When making a roux keep it moving don't let it stick and burn. By this I don't mean you have to stir frantically just slow and steady. For seafood I also make a butter roux instead of oil but the oil will be fine.

When the roux is as dark as you want it throw in the chopped seasoning and stir this will kill the heat and stop the roux from getting darker or burning. Never leave the roux while you are making it.

I also like a few bay leaves in my gumbo.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Gumbo Help!
If you have some throw some gumbo file' in there also!

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Dog Walker, I forgot about the bay leaves, thanks!

lastchance, I had seen the file' on several of the recipes, how much would you recommned? I just ordered an ounce from spice house with priority shipping, I can guarantee we don't have that here :lol: . Also I read that it is a thickener, will it be to thick with roux, okra, and the file'?

What about cayenne pepper? I use the hell out of cayenne, is it used in gumbos? I also saw white pepper in a couple of recipes.

To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:35 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I normally throw about a teaspoon in maby a little more, I don't think it thickens it to much if any at all. You gumbo should turn out good with the recipe ingredients you have listed, good luck and let us know how it turns out! and yes you can throw a little cayenne pepper in there also, just remember the sausage has alot of spices in there make sure to taste test!!! :lol:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thank you sir! I will take many pictures and give a full report!

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Getting everything together for tomorrow, making the stock today. And to my great surprise I found gumbo file at one of the stores here :o !

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

U are making stock for a gumbo?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I couldn't find shrimp stock here, so I made some.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Turned out great, was a big success!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Looks good Bro! Congrats!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks! I have never had real gumbo so I have nothing to compare it to, but this was one of the best meals I have eaten. The roux was a bit labor intensive but it was so worth it.

The roux just after I dumped in the onions, peppers, and celery.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 pm
MMT Addict

Bubba Gump Okra Gumbo (can find it online) Is what my base is, I change it up by adding a little to it, but its great. No stock necessay, but it needs additional kick and I usually deliver it via extra cayane, tony chachere, white and black powder. It calls for seafood but its good with sausage, duck, etc. I find making gumbo is like BBQ its an art so it can be addicting, something you take pride in. I get a kick out of spending hours doing that.

Your picture links aren't working on my CPU but i'm sure your gumbo turned out well. When I was in college I worked at a restraunt/bar that cooked gumbo from scratch so I've fiddled with more roux than most people will in a lifetime, you want to talk about a burn, nothing compares to a roux burn when your cooking gumbo by the 5 gallon bucket....

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

roux a quart for every table spoon. to really bring out the flavor cook the roux water onion bellpepper for a while and it will make it taste better

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]