It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hunting with a hero 
MMT Elite Member

Post Hunting with a hero
Just gonna paste this here.... Some of our local guys setup and
put together a hunt for 4 military guys who are recovering from some
life altering injuries recieved in the line of duty.... They came down
from the base in San Antonio for a weekend hunt and BBQ afterward....

Pass it forward !

PASTED...

Roger that Dan-o, it was some good times indeed. Lots of humor, some hunting, some more humor, cutting up, throw in some humor, everyone being accused of being a bad shot at least once, good food, and last but not least, some humor at times.

The guys arrived in town at about 5:00 on Friday evening. I took them over to Brads house to get their new lanyards and then back to my home for dinner. Dan, Rance, and PJ showed up and we started outfitting them with all of the gifts of generosity that the fine folks here had sent them. I mean these mean received camo clothes, knives, lanyards, duck calls, decoys and decoy bags, shotgun shells........man they were loaded and ready to go. At the very least, they looked the part of gulfcoast redneck, duck-whackin experts. Now if we could hopefully just get them some birds.

Morning of day one; we arrived at the rice farm about 5:00 am, got geared up and then sat around and had a good B.S. session before heading out to the killing fields and man did we have a motley crew. Of course we had the vets, Charles Cooper, Wayne Power, and Peter Johns (PJ). From the board we had myself, CajunDan, coonass2500, crazy_cajun, duckbill, sprig101. Dan's son Rance was there(in case we needed one shot in the butt), my wife Melissa was there to act as photographer( sorry Dave and Phillip her picture takin skills ain't in the same league as y'alls but she did her best and did a dern good job at it). We also had the co-owners of Baserri Shotguns with us as well.
The first duck came in and sat in the dekes and then thought better of it and decided it wasn't healthy for him to stick around and Wayne decided to fold him up right there. One bird, one vet, one shot = 1 bird DRT great job Wayne.
The the birds start really coming in and they started raining in the rice. Jared's dog, Primer, decided to be as hardheaded as his owner. So we have primer splashing around in the dekes searching for birds, Jared standin in neck deep water (it was only mid-calf deep to the normal size folks )yellin and cussin his dog but it didn't matter they must have had their camo workin because the birds didn't care and kept on comin ( or they didn't see jared because to them it must have looked like someones hat was just floating on the water ) One bird sailed to the end of the rice paddie and it was decided that I would venture out instead of sending the dog........I get to the middle of the paddie, all the way having to listen to the coot commander yelling KEVIN-OVER, OR KEVIN HERE (I am just glad they didn't make me wear a shock collar because Dan would have had some explainin to do, I have no doubt he would have used it) well, I am mostly out of range when the Kevin - Over stuff stops and is replaced with... "S*#T- KILL'EM". All I could do is duck and hope that I was out of range. I did assume a defensive position and was ready to return fire if their fire didn't stop when the birds left. We ended the first morning with 16 Teal and Dan, Jared, and I believe two of the were Cinny's you can tell in some of the pictures.

We went out to the dove lease in the afternoon and killed all but one of the birds that we saw............Yes, that is right, we killed two birds. But on the bright side we sweated off a few pounds and worked on our tans.

Day two saw a little slower bird activity but we still managed to get 8 of the little blue-winged things. We did have a really good flight come in and buzz the decoys right at first light and hopped up, circled back and came in headed into what little wind there was. They were cupped, feet down, comin in on final approach and poor old Wayne jsut could take it, the strain was more than he could stand, he gets up on his knees and unloads, scared us to death. My wife looks at him and calmly says "next flight lets let them get into the same county we're in before we start missing them

It was some great times and a very rewarding experience. I think I can speak for all that was there when I say that we had a great time, we are very thankful to all who donated in one way or another........and we cannot wait until the next one!!!!!

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad11 ... ET%20HUNT/

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:32 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Hunting with a hero
Good deal, more folks should do the same

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]