It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 6 June 1944 - 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings 
MMT 1000 Club

Post 6 June 1944 - 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings
Most people really don't know about the sacrifices made that day and how they profoundly changed history. I would like everyone to put aside the squabbling about the POTUS and the bitterness about Bergdahl (for today) and think about what these men, Soldiers, Sailors and Air Men accomplished on that day and how their sacrifices and heroism, in the face of certain death impacted history of not only our country but the whole world.

We can never be thankful enough for what they gave us – thank you to the greatest generation our nation has ever known. Our nation will eternally be grateful. I still have hope and I am sure our country still has even greater generations to come.

I will always be proud to be an American and to support and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:00 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 6 June 1944 - 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings
Great post. Don't forget the Coasties, they drove the Higgins boats that brought our men to shore.

I have read much about Dday. The best was Stephen Ambrose's big book on the subject. In fact all his books were good. The small scenarios of individual troops and the groups of 2 and 3, here and there fighting for a yards was quite a story. And from what I gathered, it was our Non Comms that won the day of the landings. They were well trained and knew how to improvise to fight for and win those few yards here and there, and to lead when the officers were out of action.

On another note but somewhat related, When a new Lt. with that shiney gold bar gets to his assigned platoon or unit, he should call those non comms together and ask them to make him look good and help him be a good leader and listen to their opinions. They all know what is going on.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

On the same note , when a boot 2nd lt gets to his unit and disregards the non coms advise, he is usually to be relived from duty if assigned to an infantry unit . When I was in I saw more than one boot Lt leave for more gentler pastures when it was determined hewas unsuitable to lead men in combat.

Back on topic

Semper fi from huck Finn to all who have served these United States .and especially to the generation that fought WWII .
I am reminded. " that freedom has a certain flavor that those who have never fought for it will never appreciate........... "

H Finn
Proud marine 90'-94'

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:57 pm
MMT Addict

My Grandfather was a "duckboat" driver for Normandy Landings ....

He would never go into much detail without shedding tears.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm
MMT F.E.

Thanks to all vets.. My grandpa was in the 29th infantry division, he just turned 94 this April.. He still talks about it, but you can tell some stuff still bothers him.. The history channel is having a D day in hd.. New footage never seen, It is definatly eye opening..

"As long as the dog hits the water"

" Endorsed by Drake Waterfowl, Dakota Decoy, and Rig 'em Right Waterfowl"

"Stealthcraft Boats Pro Staff"

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I drove a truck for the parade when the dday museum in new orleans opened. We used every opportunity to chat with the guys we were hauling, and they used every opportunity to thank us for the drive. Ive done a lot in my military career, but that is my proudest and most memorable moment. I was sad neither of my grandfathers could participate, but they were able to visit the museum and visit with other vets that were there. Theyve both since passed, but them and their sacrifice will never be forgotten. One landed day 1 on omaha, the other on day 3 I think. Those guys were all special, for sure

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]