It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Justice Saclia and African American Education at UT 
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Justice Saclia and African American Education at UT
Did I just read that US Supreme Court Justice Scalia said, in essence, that African Americans were better off during slavery because they were fed and housed by their masters?

"I'm just not impressed by the fact that the University of Texas may have fewer (African-Americans)," Scalia said, in part. "Maybe it ought to have fewer. And maybe some -- you know, when you take more, the number of blacks, really competent blacks, admitted to lesser schools, turns out to be less."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/ ... /index.htm

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

Post Re: Justice Saclia and African American Education at UT
That makes no sense regardless of the author.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:52 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

For one who with little reservation, holds himself out to be an exceptional jurist, he sure does not sound like one sometimes. It's like he says he's not a racist but stuff like this come out of his mouth too easily.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

I would think that he is just reciting stereotypes learned from years of observation.
Stereotypes originate from unpleasant truths. Just because a man remarks on an unpleasant truth does not make that man racist (or, a racist).
I believe that had Ginsburg made the same observation this discussion would had never come to light.
Unpleasant truths Dean, you can't hide from them or cover them up.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:53 am
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

Stay on point Dean.
I feel the term "urban slang" is racist. Please stop with the racism Dean, I am very offended at your remark.
I thought better of you than this. Stooping to racism.
Shame Shame.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 am
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

Dean, please don't be offended by my next remark.
I'm going to go now and eat Mexican or Chinese food for lunch.
(sorry if I offended anyone with my shamelessly racist description of my food preference for lunch)
I heard there was an Ethiopian restaurant nearby I would like to try. (sorry again)
Please accept my apology in advance if I offended anyone.
Adios.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:38 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Addict

Vanderbilt and NYU.
There is no substitute.

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]