It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Whats the earliest? 
MMT Elite Member

Post Whats the earliest?
How young was your kid when you first had them in the duck blind?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Whats the earliest?
Me and my 2 brothers all shot our deer at 6yrs old(we didn't grow up duck hunters
0.......but 2 of my buddies both let their 7r old boys shoot their 1st ducks this year with a .410 single shot. I think they started bringing them out around 5-6yr, just to go and be out there. Thats prolly the same way I'll start mine.

dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

prolly gonna start mine around 6 or 7 only because ive talked to several guys that started theres a little earlier then that and they said the getting up early and going too much burnt em out and now they have no interest in hunting.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 pm
MMT F.E.

I found that starting them out in the dove field was the best way to build a good foundation. I started taking all four of my children to some dove hunts when they turned 6. They didn't hunt, but they got to help, spot/fetch birds, fetch sodas, meet my hunting buddies, pick up a little gun ettiquette and learn responsible game handling along the way.

I started taking each of my boys (the girls start next year) duck hunting when they turned 8, but did not let them start gunning (other than shooting the occasional duck in the decoys) until they were nine. For me, it was all about picking the days and getting them started out right. I figured if I could keep them from getting cold or bored, the rest would take care of itself.

We also devoted considerable time to gun handling, safety, and eventually "wingshooting" on the skeet field. Getting them confident and proficient with an appropriately sized gun, while in a controlled environment, beats the crap out of trying to sort it out in the cold and dark with wings whistling overhead.

Remember, you are custom building yourself a lifetime hunting buddy, who will be taking you one day...teach em' Right!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:19 am
MMT Elite Member

Great post - Petrel....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 am
MMT Elite Member

My sons began going with me everywhere when they started walking. I changed more than a few diapers in the boat or woods. :lol: I passed up alot of invites over the years but I wouldnt trade it for anything. No way I could leave them behind. Ive also known many guys that didnt take their kids very often until they were 10-12 years old or better. They missed out on alot of great memories IMO. All season long the little boy (probably 1st grade) from across the street would come over when I got back from hunting to see what I killed and to tell me what his dad and dads friends killed. I dont understand it but my wife has made me bite my tongue about it. For now anyway.

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:07 pm
MMT Addict

I started bringing my boy when he was 6, he turned six during the season last year, brought him about 7 times each year, and he loves it, and when he doesn't go w me, hes always outside with us cleaning them and wants to take pics holding them. Lol

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am
MMT Sponsor

Mine turned 6 this year and took her on her first hunt.

And ditto on everything that petrel said. Gun safety/handling was gone over a dozen times at the camp before we ever got into the boat (even though it was a BB gun that was just given to her), and had to wait 2 weekends before we had decent enough weather to go, but making the whole experience fun for them will keep them asking to go again and again........although about 1/2 of my decoys now rattle. :lol:

IMG_4657.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 am
MMT 1000 Club

Y'all got steel shot in them BB guns. :lol: :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:50 am
MMT Super Elite Member

A always wondered if green jeans would give you a hard time about that.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am
MMT Elite Member

Owen i carried Mazie the other day and had a geat time. Wish i would've carried her earlier this yr. She shot at everything with the bb gun....and we talked a lot about safety and how you handle a gun around others. She was like a sponge soaking up the info. She got wet so we left and did some scouting and riding. I just made it a point to take her on a warmer morning and try to make it fun. When I tucked her in Sunday night she gave me a hug and said thank you. Said she couldn't wait to tell her friends that she went duck hunting. Awesome feeling to hear your kid say that..especially when ya have a girl.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm
MMT Addict

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:15 pm
MMT Sponsor

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I was either 4 or 5 w/ a red rider. Use some common sense & you won't have any problems. Teach safety & practice shooting w/ them before going hunting. Get them clothes that will keep them comfortable (this was not possible when I was a kid). Don't take them when the weather is gonna suck. Keep it fun.

Don't be scared...Hit It and Hold It!!!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Whats the earliest?
Harper is 2 yrs and 3 months old. She has been to the lease several times and loves riding the ranger and looking at the cows and all the other critters running around. She always wants to come outside and see the ducks I've killed and hold them up. Last time we were at the lease we even snuck up a levee and glassed some ducks on the water and she was trying to look thru the binocs at them. Call me crazy but I want to take her out in about a month when we are wrapped up in birds and it's a nice morning, and drive out to the hole at shooting light and park the ranger and let her watch a hell of a show. I think she would love it, and as soon as she gets bored with it, crank up and head to the truck.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 pm
MMT Elite Member

Plan to do the same with Mazie. They won't know how much they're missing on the killing end of it. :lol:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

X2 on the ranger my little girl will ride and she is 13 months. Even at her age she looks up and see's birds flying around and seems to keep up with them. She loves to be outside. It can't hurt to take her out and if she gets bored, which they all do, take off.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 am
MMT Pro Member

Be prepared to leave.

I watched my pa-in-law ruin his youngest this way. If they get bored leave or change what your doing. Go ride and wave. The BB gun will keep you in the blind longer. As for rattling decoys, there a cheap sacrafice for a life long hunting buddy.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am
MMT Pro Member

Great forum. I have yet to bring my 3 year old son, but i will next year. For now we have mainly just fished and crabbed. He is loving that. The little guy cant go a day without asking about crabbing....lol!Maximus crabbing.jpgMaximus crabbing.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

I know this is old post but OD I have had my kids int he blinds with my since they were 2 and 3. They go everywhere with me and the wife...bowfishign in 108F all day on the red to sittn n the swamp at 30F for a few minutes.

When the kids get bored we do somthing else. Like others have said the Dove field is a great place to get them started.

The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman. Go here and click on the "donate a mammogram". This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:22 am
MMT 1000 Club

Started taking my nephew for squirels at like age 5 and 6, They did well with that cause they could move around and didn't have to sit real long, I'm hoping to get the oldest one who is 9 now after turkeys this year and maybe ducks, Its the patience thing that they don't quite have yet..lol

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Have not taken them to the blind yet but I started taking them bowfishing and fishing when my twins were 2 and my youngest was 1.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 am
MMT Super Elite Member

In my big boat i have bad wheel torque to the left, my little girl 18mths is always hanging on it wanting to drive. Can't wait for her to get older so i can bring her with me everywhere, as it stands momma says duck blind ain't happening any time soon

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:49 pm
My daughter is 5 and she will come this year but my nephew I knew when he started passing out side by trees he was ready to hunt....

Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That's really cool Cody

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 am
i myself started around 5 or 6 with my pops lugging areound a little jr topper .410 but before this took place i was taught hunter edicate and safety
i started my yougest boy out in the dove fields at first at 5 with his red rider
then the follwing year as well i want to say he was 7 or 8 when him and momma got their hunting licenses then it was on dove then opener for duck
now my daughter madi is Gunho! she wants to shoot everything (she is five )
im a little hesitant to take her on those cold mornings duck hunting but has already been on a few dove trips with her red rider handed down from her brother loves all things in the outdoors especially shooting squirrels lol

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 am
MMT Member

changed more than a few diapers in the blind during earlier goose season with my son.Opening day we had about 10 geese coming right in,the guns blazed and my son never peaked out of his powerhunter layout blind,he was cuddled up with one of my extra coats and was sound asleep.lol.Never forget that for months after that he was saying that I fell asleep.My daughter was probably 3 her first time out in a built duck blind.They love it!So do I proud papa.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

I started taking my son this year, he was 5 his first hunt opening morning last season. He fell asleep on the dog till the shooting started. He was pissed at first till he seen the ducks falling. Now I cant hook the boat up without him asking where were going in the morning.

This is from opening morning, he was pumped up.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:41 pm
MMT Pro Member

I started my step son at age 11. Bought him a youth 870 and he's been hooked since. This is one of my favorite pictures from those days.

008.JPG

My little girl has been in the boat, on the Duck lease and Deer lease since she was born. She loves the outdoors, riding the marsh, watching wildlife and riding her 4 wheeler. I can't wait until she's old enough to fire a gun.

Racoon.JPG
IMG_20111023_161831.jpg

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 pm
MMT Member

My son now three was 2 last season took him out prolly 8 times begining of season. While it was still warm .him and his red rider hunted out of my blind and boat blind is easier dont gotta watch him so closly. He knows not to touch the big guns just his ,but he loved it dont like to sit long thou ,but thats ok hes a blast thou. At least once a month he asks about duck season and when can we go.now i bot him and his lil bro 1 runnin around the house annoying there ma with there calls. He can go as much as weather permits no prob with me .hes still convinced we can eat the ducks right after we shoot em thou :D. It for some reason wont let me upload pics

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 pm
MMT Member

My nephew was 5 this past season. I took him and his father for the first time it was good time. On the last day there were 2 gadwalls that flew in and I told his father to shoot and he did,but my nephew raised his bb gun and pulled the trigger at the same time as his father and both ducks fell . The look on his faces priceless . We ended the season on that note. The boy is hooked know.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm
MMT Member

2011-10-01_16.56.41.jpg

2011-11-13 14.26.20.jpg

2011-10-02 12.13.57.jpg

2011-10-02 12.13.57.jpg

2011-10-02 12.13.57.jpg

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:55 pm
MMT Member

2012-05-25 15.29.44.jpg

Theres a few from my little one last year

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:57 pm
MMT Member

2011-11-13 14.36.18.jpg2011-10-02 12.13.45.jpg

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:02 pm
MMT Pro Member

I started taking both my kids when they were 3. My oldest is now 10 and she grasses her own layout blind and helps set out decoys. My youngest is 4 and he sits between my legs in the lay blind and his job is to Flag when the birds are off, and then hold the doors shut while I call. Now If I can just get him to leave his dam Matchbox cars at home so I don't have to lay on them all day we will have it whipped!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:05 am
MMT Pro Member

I started taking both my kids when they were 3. My oldest is now 10 and she grasses her own layout blind and helps set out decoys. My youngest is 4 and he sits between my legs in the lay blind and his job is to Flag when the birds are off, and then hold the doors shut while I call. Now If I can just get him to leave his dam Matchbox cars at home so I don't have to lay on them all day we will have it whipped!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 am
MMT Pro Member

We started taking my nephew when he was 3. He shot at everything in sight with his bb gun and everytime we killed a duck he would look at us and say "smoked em". It was almost as fun as when he was trying to take a nap and my bil started calling, he got up and commenced to chewing him out for waking him up. It was a blast watching him that day and now he's 5 and still loves to go to the camp.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 am
MMT Pro Member

Started taking my son this year at 4, he brings his BB gun and has a great time....mainly just learning safety rules this year. I think his favorite part is setting/picking up the decoys and dead birds. He usually insists in setting jugs while we are out there.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next