It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 It only takes a second 
MMT Pro Member

Post It only takes a second
Fellas today was one of the best days I've ever had on the water but it could have been bad.

We were on the tchefuncte river north of 12 in a back water fishing for bream. Dead calm sitting in 12 ft of muddy water. I was easing along with the trolling motor holding the anchor off bottom moving a few feet to reposition the boat. Annabelle, my 4 yo, said something to me and I turned to look at her and watched her fall in. I'm not sure how she did it and I'm telling you I saw it happen. She was wearing a life jacket and popped up turned to the boat and grabbed the hunt deck.

She was more scared than hurt and 2 yoohoos later we were back to fishing. She ended up catching her first catfish and spent the rest of the day telling me her fish was the biggest.

We have had her in swim lessons since she was 2 and the swim teacher this year has been teaching them to fall in and swim to the wall. We have been doing the same thing on the boat this year and telling her that her only job is to swim to shore or swim to the boat and hold on

Be safe out there and get the little ones on the water.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: It only takes a second
Man I got 2 kids 5yr and 8mths, glad the good Lord was looking over ya'll today and it turned out the way it did.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:55 pm
MMT Addict

Life jackets on little ones especially is important. The older I get the more I wear mine as well. Glad it all turned out okay

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

Start them wearing life jackets 100% of the time in the boat when they are young and it's a whole lot easier as they get older. Our boys wear life jackets at the lake, or when they get out of the car at a landing, when they are outside at the grandparents lake house whether we are with them or not. When I was a toddler my uncle lost am 18 month old boy in a drowning, I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone. You're spot on, it happens quick and be a lifetime of heartache. Glad it turned out well for you.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]