It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Boats Bogs and BBQ - Success!! 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Boats Bogs and BBQ - Success!!
On 13 July 13 with the help of John (Dead Ringer) we organized and ran the first ever Duck Boat Poker Run across the 1000 Islands.

The event was to get smaller type hunting boats out on the water to have some fun in the off season, meet other hunters and share stories and ideas for the upcoming season, and to have a fun time riding around the islands on an absolutely gorgeous day on the water.

The weather was perfect. Sunny, hot and little to no breeze keeping the chop down so the small boats we have wouldn't have any issues riding the route.

First off a big thank you goes out to West Marine Kingston - who donated the prizes for the Poker Run, as well as Misty Isles Cottages (Gananoque) who let us use their boat launch and parking for a great price.

The run:

We met up at the launch for 0800h to begin the run for 0900h.

There was 5 boats at the run - The Captains of the day were Mike, John, Terry, David, and me.

The first stop wasnt more than a 5 minute ride - more of a warm up to get everyone riding together.

We are all watching Terry and Scott in the far boat as they were scouring for garbage - one of the prizes was for Most Garbage Collected - terry and Scott really REALLY wanted that spotlight!

Our next spot took us to Landons Bay. This past Monday I got a call from MNR and the MOE as well as Parks Canada. They were quite concerned about us running down Landons Bay as there is a large turtle population as well as a recently made nest of a Peregrine Falcon along the rock wall and the MNR was concerned we were going to scare it away.
So to mitigate any issues with the Ministry or Parks Canada we simply stopped at the entrance under the 1000 Islands Parkway and fished for a few minutes after we received our cards.

We talked and joked around - was a great time.

The fish weren't cooperating today...

Our run had to be extended as the run down to Landon's bay was a 25 minute trip there and back.

We skirted through a small Islands on to our next spot. Swimming, fishing, riding waves.... I watched Mike get air born when the ferry created a few large waves for him to roll on.

This flag adds an extra 5 mph apparently...... =)

it was at this point Gilles realized he wasn't on a boat yet...as we had already left

So there is a game John likes to play..... spraying the other boat. Videos on this are great (coming soon!)

I'll admit it was rather refreshing - not like that swamp water you got hosed in ;D

One game on this run (for prizes) was "Find the Decoys"

You find a decoy - it has a number attached to it - at the lunch you get to choose in the order they were found (1-2-3) and Chris (puckchaser) and his eagle eyes spotted this bad boy hiding near the bridge at Landon's Bay.

Next spot we hit was the fishing hole - never locked into one but some of the biggest perch I've ever seen!

The card ladies did an excellent job - thanks for helping out!!

4 Mud motors - 3 Mudbuddy's and a ProDrive

We hit Greys Beach around 1200h after a great ride. Plenty of room to have a shore lunch.

We had people who couldn't commit to the entire ride meet us out here for a great potluck lunch. There was SO MUCH FOOD!

Thanks all for showing up for the meal - and for bringing what you did. No one was hungry after this lunch.

Safety First =)

The Winners for the Decoy Find, Garbage Collection, and Poker Run.

Awesome food thanks everyone.

After the poker run had finished - we took the mud boats to the marsh to have some fun in the swamp.

David - our only outboard - got a ride in Mikes Excel/MB combo - really nice ride - a first mud boat ride for him!

remember being sprayed by that clean - lake water?

Mike found an opportunity for revenge.... well played Sir, well played.

targets for marsh water showers??

So a pic that will be sent to MNR/MOE/PC - we collected all this garbage as a group. Hats off to Terry and Scott for getting the most - you guys definitely earned that spotlight.

The day was a HUGE success - and we all had a really fun time.

It was a blast hanging out with you all and I look forward to hunting with you guys this season as well as doing this run again next year.

Cheers!

B. MacDonald

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Boats Bogs and BBQ - Success!!
Man this looks like a damn good time. I would love to see something like that around here.

[color=#80BF00][b]Excel 1860 swv4f4 with GTR35L with stage 1, cam, exhaust, heads

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Boats Bogs and BBQ - Success!!
Awesome! Man that river is clear. Been a couple years since I have been on it. Thanks for the post and pics. Netman

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]