It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 East Matagorda Bay 
MMT Member

Post East Matagorda Bay
Somewhat new member here. Been lurking a lot and haven't had much to post. Also a new mudboat owner. Heading out to East Matagorda Bay for the weekend to do a little fishing and put the boat to the test. With that, I read the "Emergency Contacts" post (awesome concept) and was wondering just how up to date that is. I would sure hate to get my inexperienced self into trouble out there, but I gotta learn it before duck season starts. So, if there are any current members that are willing to be on stand-by so-to-speak, I would greatly appreciate that. I don't know if I can receive PM's yet, but let's give it a try.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: East Matagorda Bay
Should be pretty up to date.

Just be careful down there, mostly sand bottom on the bay and edges of it. Nothing moves across sand. Just keep in mind alot of places that have water on it now will be dried up most of duck season.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mud boats<jet boat when it comes to Matagorda, Rockport ect..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You should be able to run 5-6" of water without having to worry about hitting bottom.

A good rule of thumb to go by for getting up on plane is you need knee deep. Knee deep water over sand, no water and knee deep mud, or a mixture of the two. It dont really matter as long as you knee deep something.

Its a big learning curve. Over time youll learn how early to turn, when to hammer the throttle, when to let off it, etc.
Also what you can and cant do in it. Its still a boat with a prop back there. Some people (including myself) think its an air boat when you first start running them lol

I work late on thr weekends but if you have any free time during the week I usually get off at 4 Monday-Thursday if you wanna come over to Trinity bay. I got every bottom type imaginable here and can show you what stuff you can and cant run in a mud motor. And show how to work a motor to get going good in a bottom like your talking about.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:18 pm
MMT Member

I appreciate the offer. But I live near Austin and work regular 8-5 hours. We got to talking to a guy while getting gas and told me to wiggle the motor around back and forth, up and down and you'll get it. That worked pretty some, but never really got going. I thought it was interesting that we were pushing a wall of water in front of us. Not so much of a wake, a wall...perpendicular to the boat, the whole width of the cut. Never could get the speed to get up over it. Could that be too much forward weight?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Too much load for the speed you were going.
And not enough power to build more speed.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:56 pm
MMT Member

well, ch!t.
5000 BD on a 1754 GT 3 people and fishing gear... hunting is gonna be a problem...gotta add the dog yet and dekes and other gear. Looks like some of us are gonna have to start dieting. (of course, my one friend's tackle box could have counted as another person).

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Keep it trimmed down and when you feel it start moving wnd pushing that wake trim up in little increments, just a quick bump.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]