It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What’s a good performance hull for a pro drive? 
MMT Member

Post What’s a good performance hull for a pro drive?
Wondering what other people’s experiences were with different hulls on a pro drive. I have had a couple, a 36 on an excel that was awesome and a gator Trax I had built new with a new 36 that was honestly a pig. I’m thinking I want another pro drive after driving a few of the other brands a good bit but I really don’t see that many performance hulls built to hold that kind of weight on the back. I’m thinking of maybe a crawfishing style skiff that’s long and narrow with a high bow but I dunno. What do y’all think?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:56 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: What’s a good performance hull for a pro drive?
Define performance

Performance to one is different to another. Meaning what you value might not be of value to the next. Just about 90% of the people on this site care about speed, top end speed. For me a performance hull is one that can carry the load I want while not being too wide of heavy, thus a PITA "if" you get stuck and need to get into tight places. So I pump my engines up for load carrying and thus the hull I build. The byproduct is speed, but that wasn't my main objective. To another is a flat bottom with some sort of runners or tapered chine because the area he rides or hunts has winding waterways thus tons of turns. I can keep going. So it really depends on what you want out of it.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:33 am
MMT Elite Member

the older 1848 square chine PD hull is HARD to beat. they are the quickest.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:36 am
MMT Member

I would say I’m more interested in best speeds with a light 2 man load while maintaining lower speed maneuverability. In my experience the typical round chine sat so low that draft was heavily affected and caused the boat to wallow at idle speeds- like picking up decoys. The tapered chine of the old excel, not the f series, worked well for me but I can’t seem to find another one. As for the pd boats I’ve been in a few but they all felt really heavy. I hunt big water and timber and less mud than I used to so I’m wary of something like that around hard bottom and big logs. What custom builders do people think that new 40 would pair well with?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am
MMT Member

I am currently looking to upgrade from a 23 GTR to a used 36 PD for my 1748 Kliebert. From searching on this forum, I am fairly certain my boat has a round chine. I am a bit hesitant to do so due to the size (width) of my boat and the chine, from what I have read PD's do not pair well with round chines. I would love a PD for the FPR, because my GTR reverse is trash. I just do not want to be severely disappointed. Thoughts?

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:03 pm
MMT Member

Disregard last post of mine, through more searching I found good information covering my questions. :roll:

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 pm
MMT Pro Member

My 18x48 prodrive hull is a perfect combo with the 36 motor. Only thing i dont love about it is that it slides in fast turns but is bad ass in mud and running bayous. Ive got the low sides which suck for big water but i dont go in big water often so it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Get you a Gatortail Extreme hull and when you want to move up get a 40 horse Gatortail motor and then you will have a great rig

Hoyt Mods and some other goodies

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am
MMT Elite Member

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:51 pm
MMT Elite Member

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]