It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Kawasaki swap on pro drive 
MMT Member

Post Kawasaki swap on pro drive
I'm swapping over a 27hp kawasaki motor onto a prodrive. But for some odd reason my clutch won't engage? Idk if the clutch was good before and I'm new to these surface drives. Please helpm

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Kawasaki swap on pro drive
Did you damage it in the swap?
Are you getting power to clutch?
Is the PTO switch bad?
Burnt fuse?

After checking all that, it may just be that the clutch is bad, but check all that first.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 am
MMT Member

I know I'm getting power to it because i shocked the f#$@ outta myself playing with the wires with the motor running.. How do I check the switch? When the pto switch is engaged it won't let the motor turn over if that's a start.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 am
MMT Member

And the clutch has 2 wires rolling to it. 1 for the bump and 1 for the pto switch

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:43 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Kawasaki swap on pro drive
12v won't really shock the fuck out of you. You must have been on an ac circuit to get zapped. Spark plugs and the charging system are the only things that give ac current and have enough to make it unpleasant.

You need a volt meter and need to check the leads on the clutch.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am
MMT Member

My leads to my clutch are hot. Both wires

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 am
MMT 1000 Club

That shouldn't happen. One should be straight to ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 am
MMT Member

As I expected. The wrong color wiring for the job. When I get off work I'll ground it off and get back with yall. As I said new to this clutch game used to old long tail

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

Right, you won't get shocked even if you touched the wires. You should have 2 wires, purple/red and black. Black to ground and the other to hot. In your wire harness, you should have an orange wire that send power to the control box. It may be jumpered off the starter where the hot is tied into it. The orange wire that feeds power to the controls need to have an inline fuse. My 2007 didn't and I added it after the fact. This fuse it to protect the switches (to a certain extent) and wiring. If your wires are getting hot, which they should not, then your clutch is gone and its going straight to ground. if you would have that inline fuse installed, it would blow the fuse when trying to engage the clutch to protect the wiring. No fuse, thus hot wiring = clutch gone more than likely. here is the wiring diagram for the control box. I totally rewired mine when I did the swap.

wiring 3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am
MMT Member

I have 2 purples for sure those are the ones I had connected to the clutch. I'm sure that's wrong.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 am
MMT 1000 Club

colors aside, do you have an inline fuse? If you don't, put one and if there is a clutch issue, the fuse will blow.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am
MMT Pro Member

I had the same problem with the clutch wires being hot, turned out the clutch was shot. Disconnect the two wires that go from the clutch to the pto and go directly to your battery.

They are nonpolar. When I did this and the wires were red hot, I disconnected the wire to the battery hot and clutch and prop still engaged. so clutch and prop engaged just with the negative connected. This was my proof that the clutch was bad.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 am
MMT Member

when i get home tonight i will test out. i know as of right now i have the two purple wires hooked up to the clutch like a retard. i think most of the wiring on this thing is fucked as i bought it. but hopefully with some help well get this settled.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

I believe they are both purple going to the clutch, one solid and one striped, but I could be wrong. See if the attached helps. Tho it is for a 36 HP, not sure if it matters.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:57 pm
MMT Member

It's not letting me post pictures of the pto

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 am
MMT Member

my two purple wires are hot though? one came from the control panel to clutch i assume and the other one went to the rev limiter box that my buddy cut off.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Don't over complicate it and don't trust wire colors. These motors only need a few connections to work.

Heavy 12v to the starter
Heavy ground to the block
12v ignition wire if your motor has an ecu, ignition box, or fuel solenoid
Wire that goes to ground with the key in off position, and rest at nothing in all other key positions
Loop the charging circuit wire down to the same place the heavy 12v is tied into the starter
Constant ground for clutch
Switched 12v for clutch, goes to 12v when pto switch is engaged or when momentary is bumped

Thats pretty much it. Use a volt meter, get what you need to what needs it. Screw the wiring diagrams and colors. :lol:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am
MMT Member

So good news is that I grounded off my clutch and the switch actually engages the clutch now. Lol

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]