It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Plowing through water lillys! 
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Plowing through water lillys!
I believe I stumbled into a boat design that enables one to plow through thick waterlillys just like that YouTube contraption I saw with the rotating cutters on the bow, except that my setup operates like a snow plow. You see, my bow has a very sharp rake and is fairly pointed so that the Lillys are just tossed to either side when trimmed down thrusting the bow down into the mass of lillys instead of going over them. The only thing that stopped my progress was a stump. Progress through the lillys was better at slow speeds. I was able to stop and resume forward motion without trouble. This could be dangerous as it might temp me to go where better judgment might prevail. And I'm not talking about the sissy water Lilly patches; I'm talking about 3 foot high thick stuff piled up together.

Video to come.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: Plowing through water lillys!
I never had an issue running in the lillies. Hydrilla and hyacinth can get pretty bad though...

I saw someone talking the other day about putting a tank of water in the front of a skiff to accomplish the same goal.

This on one of those wooden boats? Bet hittin stumps in that thing makes you pucker up everytime...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:27 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

I actually meant water hyacinth... Tic and tall stuff. Stumps do pucker my ass!! But bottom covered with 8 oz fiberglass and epoxy so it can take apretty good hit.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

Cool man. Those boats are nice!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 am
MMT Member

Back when I used run a single cylinder 16 horse Briggs in a putt-putt skiff I used to make my passenger sit on the deck or purposely pull the plug to let water in to bring the front down to plow the lillys.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thats why crawfish skiffs have the doulble floor with the plug. To fll the floor with water and still be dry in the boat.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]