It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 I know nothing.... 
MMT Member

Post I know nothing....
I am new here and want to learn...
Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. I fish the coastal bays and estuaries around Rockport and Corpus Christi, TX. Hurricane Harvey totalled my house and my Center Console tunnel hull bay boat.

My initial instinct was to replace the boat with a new, better version of itself... a new center console...

Then I saw a guy launching a mudboat at the launch I use. Never seen him there before. It was a great looking boat, and I spoke to him a bit, but didn't really think of what questions I should have asked at that moment. He had an Excel boat with a MudBuddy motor. In thinking about it, I am now trying to determine if this might be a good option for me. Most of the time I fish, I generally stop far short of where I ideally want to be due to water depth. My boat wasn't going to make it into the 6 to 15 inch water safely or without risk of getting stuck. On rare occasions there would be a super high tide and I could get into some great spots. It would be great to be able to go to those spots all the time instead of just two or three times a year.

The spots I am spaeaking of are generally 6 to 20 inches of water over mud and some scattered oyster shell. To get from the launch to these spots may require 3 to 7 miles over deeper Bay water. Generally 6 to 9 feet deep and 20 to 25 mph Wind is the norm, so the waves and chop can be significant.

Now for my initial questions:

- Is a mudboat even feasible for this scenario ? In the review section of the board, folks often mention performance in "deep water", but I am not sure what that means I this context.

- Does a mudboat/motor lose its power and planing ability in 8 foot water ?

- Accepting that it would be an uncomfortable ride in a flat boat with waves driven by 25mph wind to get thru the bay to my preferred shallow fishing grounds, would a mudboat/motor even be capable in this condition ? I generally don't have very heavy loads. Usually just me and one buddy.

- Is scattered shell over deep, soft mud an acceptable condition for a mudboat/motor.

Any other thoughts are very welcome. I am really intriqued by the thought of a mudboat, but want to figure out if it a realistic option.

Unfortunately I don't have many options to talk to people as I live in Austin, TX and I don't know of any dealers here, and I could spend weeks at local launches without ever encountering one...

Sorry for the very long message, and THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: I know nothing....
Here’s some questions to think about.

How much are you wanting to spend?

How many people do you usually have ride with you?

Are you okay with a top speed of around 25-32 mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm
MMT Member

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:37 am
MMT Member

That’s exactly what I️ was thinking duallys on 20+ ft boat would be perfect You could haul just about as much weight as you wanted and the hole shot would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:43 am
MMT Pro Member

If 24" sides are high enough for you, you might consider a prodrive SBX with dual motors or at least that concept. https://prodriveoutboards.com/outboard- ... self-bail/
I stay in bed if the winds are anywhere close to that though so I can't make a recommendation on side height.

Going custom is probably the best option...especially to get the best floor plan for the type of fishing you do.
Don't hesitate to give Pete @ WC Customs a call and talk through your situation. He's a super nice guy and does top quality work. http://www.wccustomboats.com/

As far as mud motor performance in the terrain you have...it will excel. You will be able to get where nobody with an outboard can even walk their boat to. Get on youtube and watch some videos

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

www.prodigyboats.com They build some nice dual rigs. Go to this web page and check out some of their builds. If you have any questions hit me up on here.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 am
MMT F.E.

I lived in Aransas Pass for 14 yrs., I had a GDLT 16 hpfor the shallow water stuff, and a Proline/OMC Sea drive 1.6l(115hp evinrude) if the options would have been there I would have purchased a CC 18-20ft surface drive with 24" sides and a hunt deck. Not sure about dual motors, but some mods to give it a little more pep. The problem is going be that a true mudboat is a flat bottom and will be rough riding in the bay during the windy times. I have been back to visit and fish there taking my 24 ft SeaArk/1504S Merc, it has a 3degree hull. In the mornings before the wind picks it is ok but on those windy afternoons, open deep water is a little rough. BTW the first Surface drive I was close to, I pulled out about 100 yds with my 16hp GDLT, so it could get up and go. That why it was almost 10 yrs before I even bought a surface drive. At the time the only thing that did better in that marsh was a airboat!(Bayside/Aransas River)

On that note its about what and why! To handled deep choppy water and shallow both well is real iffy. IMO I would order a custom build with a surface drive(fish and Hunt?) or one of those tried and true tunnel boats(fishing only).

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am
MMT Member

CypressCritter, I know those areas... in fact, not too far away are some of my favorite spots... Copano Creek above Turtle Pen, and Mission Bay.... but the ride back from Mission, through Copano Bay, can get really bad after the wind picks up. One winter day we made a ride out there in about 20 minutes, and then took over an hour and a half to get back in the bay boat!

All please keep thoughts coming !!!! More info is always better...

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 am
MMT F.E.

Yeah that Capano Bay is big, when the south wind picks up it puts up some white caps and gets rough. Even a tunnel boat would catch hell on those real windy days. Best thing about around there is the choice of boat ramps to shorten the boat ride. BTW more than once I ground my big boat, lucky not hard enough for 2-4 people to be able to get it off. I remember my brother bringing his Ranger with 225 Mariner, we went from Conn Brown Harbor towards Rockport, it was ok that morning but that afternoon with wind up it was rough on the return trip.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]