It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Shallow hard bottom starts 
MMT Pro Member

Post Shallow hard bottom starts
I've got a couple areas that are 4 inches or less deep and the bottom is hard enough the the motor won't sink into it. If I'm on plane I can rip through this stuff but if I stop I pretty much have to pole through or push through it. Is there any technique that anyone has figured out to get the boat up and going in that kinda condition? You slightly get on the gas and the back drags and the boat basically just sits there.

Build thread here.. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66815

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Shallow hard bottom starts
Gatorglide. Beyond that, a wider and longer boat, that's lighter, so it floats better and doesn't drag as bad. Eventually, you find the limit of what they can do.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am
MMT Pro Member

I have gator glide and the boats not getting any bigger... guess it's just the limit. What about putting a bunch of weight at the front?

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am
MMT 1000 Club

May help some, but if you aren't getting enough speed before it starts dragging, then you won't get enough water under the boat to start lifting. We hunt in an area that is solid hard clay. When it's shallow enough, we just idle really slow to a deeper or softer hole where we can get on plane. It's hard to not just try to force it and throw the coal to it, but crawling along can save the effort of poling or dragging, and eventually get to deeper water. Out of the 3 boats we normally run there, only mine can manage to get up if it'll float any at rest. Ive even ran the motor while walking next to it until it got enough speed that i could climb in and hammer it. The other 2 just can't quite do it, and need a little more water. One is a heavy for size 1652, the other a 1954 with a huntdeck gatortrax (with more power and the right prop, it'd be able to do better). Good luck. Sound like you found that point.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 am
MMT Pro Member

Yea that's pretty much what I figured. It's not the end of the world, just adds alot of time to get to or out of the spot to hunt because it's hundreds of yards sometimes even further. The water is really low right now so one big rain and it may be a non issue.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 am
MMT Pro Member

I have my mud rig specifically for the shallow hard sheet river rock bottom. I idle until I hit some of the deeper holes and then punch it. The weight shifted forward will help with the transom sucking down but no prop is going to beat the hard bottom. already wrecked 2 boats on the rocks.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am
MMT Pro Member

Yea I found a few rocks this weekend too... had to break the file out on the skeg and prop.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am
MMT Pro Member

A Hammer Prop will help if your engine has the umph to spin it.

Every area I run is shallow, hard bottoms. The hammer will pop you up on step faster than any other blade out there.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 am
MMT Pro Member

My motor is a 2015 so I still have a little warranty left. But as soon as I don't have that safety net I plan to get a little more "umph". Then I'll take a look at that hammer prop.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]