It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mud Buddy Help 
MMT Member

Post Mud Buddy Help
For starters, I am new to the whole mud boat world. I have a 17 foot Gator Trax boat with a 35 Muddy Buddy Sport HD. When I took it hunting this past weekend the boat was loaded down ( 3 people, dog, gear, etc) it wasnt getting much speed at all. At some points, I could get it to to plane off it and when it did, it took off good (20 mph). However, the majority of the trip through the timber I couldnt get the boat over 7-8 mph. I tried adjusting the trim both ways several times and moving the weight around and still couldnt get any more speed. It was throwing a massive wake behind the boat and dropping the back end of the boat.

With all that being said, I was a little worried to say the least and when I got home I took the boat to a lake by the house and with two people and a dog was running 25 or so consistently. Any advice on what to do to help solve this problem or what I could do differently next time I take it hunting. Thanks in advance.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Mud Buddy Help
I would get the engine looked at by someone that knows these rigs. It could need a valve job or have a popped headgasket. You should discuss the issue with your mechanic and they should be able to warm it up and solve your lack of load carrying

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am
MMT Sponsor

Where are you located. Maybe we can point you to the right man

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am
MMT Member

Im located in Crofton, Kentucky. The only mechanics I know around here are dealers. I hunt in West Tn around Dyersburg and I'm down that way almost every weekend.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 am
MMT Sponsor

Maybe some one will pop in here and know someone in that area.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 am
MMT Member

I called mud buddy the other day and tried to explain the situation to them and there response was to call Gator Trax and see if I needed pods on the boat.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

Pods aren't going to be the answer in your situation. Mods, or at the very least, a valve job, likely are. There's a point in which these motors just can't create enough thrust to carry the load you want it to. Your 3 man trip was just past that point. It could be because the valves are leaking some, needing a new prop, or some other compression issue from an actual problem with the engine, or just you've found the limit you can't haul without mods. You can check compression on your engine with a $10 compression tester, and it'll give you a starting point. Also, measure your prop. Post compression results here, and a pic of the tape measure on your prop. We'll be able to guide you better from that info.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

Russ is spot on.

Try Legacy Marine in KY, or Pauls Small Engines around Dyersburg. Check the health of the engine first. If it checks out, you are out of power, and if you want to keep hauling big loads, you will need performance mods.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 pm
MMT Member

Ok I will post a picture when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Already got more answers here than I did on the phone with Mud Buddy. One thing I did notice yesterday was that the prop wiggles a little bit, It still turns fine but if you push in and out on it, it moves just a little. I measured the prop last night as well, it was 12 in by 12 in.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:56 pm
MMT Member

Glade: When you say check the health of the engine, what all should I be looking at? I know oil and greese and all that stuff. Im sorry, but like i said, I'm a rookie with mud motors.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm
MMT Sponsor

Glade only pops in here once in a while so I will help. Compression test, leakdown test and valvetrain inspection is the main health checkup of an engine

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:12 am
MMT Member

I went and got everything that I need to test the compression and leakdown yesterday. Doing it today when I get off work. Thanks for your help guys. Will let you know how it goes.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:28 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]