It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Which motor? 
MMT Member

Post Which motor?
Hi guys , don't post, but read quite a bit. Appreciate some help picking a motor. The creek that my camp is on is nothing but stumps. My bateau with console and 125 mercy works ok....... scared I'm gonna rip off the lower unit. Gonna have Uncle J build a skiff. Which is better in stump, gatortail or prodrive? Mainly concerned with high centering on stump and being able to get off. I've run both motors. Had a prodrive for a few years. But never ran really bad stumps. Have a 9 go devil on 12 ft. But just too small for kids and family. No mud to speak of. Just sumps in fairly deep water.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Which motor?
I have a prodrive and run stumps and logs every time I take my boat out, it has never given me an issue. Seeing that your going with a console Idk if one would be better than the other. The only benefit I could think would be the gator tail is belt driven so the drive train components would take less abuse than the gear driven prodrive.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 pm
MMT F.E.

Which ever you decide, get the bottom painted with some of that stuff that is slicker than owl shit!!!! I got a Uncle J skiff and it just slides off of them, only thing I have hung up on was a sand bar!!

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 am
MMT Member

Thanks for the responses. It will be a tiller motor. Didn't think about coating the bottom. It's worth doing? My outboard boat is heavy. It's 3/16 too and has dual consoles and windshield plus 40 gal of gas. It's probably 2x the weight of what the skiff will be. Plus no smooth bottom. . We run jugs a lot. When going slower, I've high centered the boat where I could barely power off stumps with 125 outboard. Forward or reverse. Guess the smooth bottom would allow stump to slide sideways rather than having to run length of the boat? Guess a more specific question is..... If I'm stuck on a stump that is an inch under surface. With stump a couple of foot in front of transom, boat bottom is at surface of water at transom or even out of water, which motor will have better reach to get enough thrust to power off? Or is there no difference?

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am
MMT F.E.

Bottom coat a must!!! You will(round or square chine) slide off of stumps a lot better especialy at slow speeds!!! I run the back of a lake that is stump infested, last year old boat, like you said had to power off of stumps and a few had to get out and push off!!! This year with the new boat and bottom coating, have very rarely throttle up to slide off!!! IMO the bottom coating for stumps is worth the extra $$.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am
MMT 1000 Club

Gatorglide.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]