It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Prodrive x series hull or prodigy hull 
MMT Member

Post Prodrive x series hull or prodigy hull
I've got a 37 efi prodrive 2016 model. Looking for a hull, but torn between going light and less comfortable with the prodrive x series or going a little heavier but much more comfortable with the prodigy. I've got a buddy that has the same motor with the 17x48 x series prodrive hull and he is getting 32mph with him and a dog (motor is stock). Curious to see how much speed I would loose with a little heavier hull like the prodigy? Going for an 18x48 possibly an 18x54.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: Prodrive x series hull or prodigy hull
The prodigy is made out of aluminum just like the pd. It will only be heavier if you add a bunch of crap to it or have it made out of thicker material. How much difference the extra weight makes will be dependent on how much crap you add and how much heavier it actually is.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm
MMT Member

If I do get a prodigy I'm gonna go all out with it bc I got such a good deal on the motor. Anybody have any experience with the prodrive on the prodigy boats?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:53 pm
MMT Pro Member

A prodigy is the same as any other true mud hull, it will produce the same results as any other one. If you go "all out" you will lose performance. Your buddy will be running "32" and you will be around 26. You can contact prodrive and have them add anything you want, the same as the prodigy. Prodigy are well built boats, but so are many other manufacturers.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 pm
MMT Elite Member

If you don't need a thicker bottom than 125, then I would stick with Pro-Drive and save some weight, and probably some money. 1848 is a great performing hull with 2-3 ppl & gear with a stock engine.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 am
MMT Pro Member

I have a '16 EFI with an X Series 1848. Here are some real life numbers for you in perfect water conditions.

Solo with some fishing poles 27-28
Solo with duck gear 26
2-up with duck gear 23-24
3-up with duck gear 18
6-up with dog and jugline gear 16

I usually hunt in east texas stump lakes. I have 60hrs on the motor and after hitting many-a-stump I have some slight horizontal dents, primarily in the front 1/3.

My 'complaints' about my stock boat are as follows. Most of these I have remedied in some way, some very cheap:
- No spud pole holes
- Front seat base is in the lid of the deck compartment - it's squeaky as hell and you have to remove the seat to access the compartment
- No catwalk - climbing over 100 decoys to get to the bow is quite annoying
- 'Gun box' is not long enough for a shotgun in a case
- 'Gun box' is great because you can move it around, but takes up more space than other boats where the seat doesn't sit inside of the square tubing on the sides. It's just a matter of 6", but seems to make a big difference.
- Gas/battery tank frames under the front duck aren't quite tall enough. A very rough ride and they will bounce out.
- No grab bar. I bought the prodrive t-rail one and the design is garbage.
- No hunt deck. I had one on my last boat and getting in/out for myself and dog is much easier with it.

If I was ordering another one from prodrive (which I won't, I'll go custom next time), I would bump it up to 1854 and include more options. Mostly because it's rare for me to hunt solo these days and even with clever organization I run out of floor space quick. Don't want to give the impression I hate it. It looks great and has treated me well so far. Just my nitpick list above.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

Also I'd like to raise my BS flag all the way up the flagpole on your buddy getting 32 out of a stock prodrive.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]