It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Which one ton diesel is best for work? 
MMT Addict

Post Which one ton diesel is best for work?
Looking into buying a ‘17 or newer 1 ton single rear wheel work truck and equipping it with a small service body. I am an ag field tech and I’ll be carrying everything but the kitchen sink in this truck with me out in the field. I’m wondering which brand handles a decent amount of weight and work load the best? Currently running a 13 ram crew cab hemi with snap on road chest, air compressor and weatherguard crossover slap full of stuff and looking to step up. Everyone around in the delta is running 3/4 ton has burners getting 10mpg and I’m really wanting to avoid that as well as the lugged down feeling of a 3/4 ton has truck. I know everyone complains about the emissions systems on the newer diesels but I’m wanting to explore my options, am and all help would be appreciated

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Which one ton diesel is best for work?
I would say to check the yellow payload sticker on the drivers side door post of any truck you are interested in.
I'm driving a 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW crew cab 4x4 diesel. It has a payload of 4018#. Rear axle weight rating is 7000#, front axle is 6000#, gross vehicle weight rating is 12,300. You don't want to exceed the axle, tire ratings, or GVWR to be legal.
When I was shopping, the Fords had the least payload, with Chevy/GM next, then Ram the highest. But I think Ford was labelling their trucks with different GVWR for commercial/tax issues. My 2014 F350 SRW Lariat had only 3265# payload.
If you are getting a cab/chassis you are in a different ball game. I "think" it will be labelled as incomplete and then re-labelled after the box is added. I think.
You will have a higher payload with a gas engine vs. a diesel.
Having had both, I prefer the lower RPM Cummins to the Ford diesel. Get the Aisin transmission to get the higher torque Cummins.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've driven loaded out service trucks from all 3 big makers. I'll say the in a service truck, the GM Duramax/Allison combo can't be beat. The Ram 6.7 is a close second and the Ford last. It makes decent power but the trans was garbage. All 3 trucks were around 15K on the hoof.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am
MMT Elite Member

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:55 am
MMT 1000 Club

All I know is I could set the cruise at about 80mph in the hill country in my Dodge (Kerrville, TX area) and the other guy driving the Ford ended up way behind with similarly loaded trucks. After several good hills I'd either have to wait for him to catch me or just pull over because his truck was about to get hot lol. Both were 6.7L Diesels. The Dodge did have a bit more lag for whatever reason but when the power came on, it was there and never seemed to stop pulling all the way to the shift.

These days, nobody makes a "bad truck" anymore. Competition has only given the consumer more options. I've been a GM guy for decades and that's all I own now. If they'd make a GM with a solid axle and offer a manual trans again they'd have a truck on their hands. The problem is, nobody these days wants a truck, they want something that drives and rides like a car they can pull their toys with. Very few trucks sold these days actually get "worked" my full size SUVs see more real work than most I'd bet lol

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:03 am
MMT Pro Member

If you look at the trucks the guys are using hauling them BIG TEX trailers hauling cars and steel. I personally see a lot more Ram 3500 around here in SC.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm
MMT Pro Member

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm
MMT Elite Member

2016 model. Just doesn't grab gears under a load like the fords and Chevys do. Wants to stay in 6th.

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

There isn't a single Dodge in our work fleet, the boss refers to them as welfare trucks. The Fords seem to be nickel and dime mobiles and the one chevy never sees anything hooked up to the hitch, but it hasn't had any issues thus far either.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:32 am
MMT Pro Member

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]