It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Boat weight and draft  
MMT F.E.

Post Boat weight and draft
So after a night of frogging and getting stuck twice, I started doing some thinking.. first of all, I used to have The dang thread subscribed but somehow all the threads I used to be subscribed to are gone and I had a ton marked with good info that I referred to often.. thanks tap a talk or mmt website.. anyways there was a thread on boat weight and boat displacement/draft and some math gurus chimed in.

So I guess my question would be.....is there an equation or formula that would give you a good idea of how much boats draft depending on the surface area that is touching the water (obviously the boats would be identical and the amount of weight to be displaced would be the same too )

For example, my 17x44 with 3 people prolly drafts a good bit compared to a 18x54 with same load... but how much more does it draft? Is it enough to make a difference and keep me floating in shallow water versus being on the bottom in the smaller boat? Yea I could be overthinking it but I think it’s an interesting topic and it would help me out when choosing a future boat to match my loads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Boat weight and draft
I would be really interested to see some numbers on this too bro. Very interesting topic. I know from just moving weight around in my skiff, I can gain or lose a few miles per hour. Crazy how that works

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Just a quick discussion. There's another thread with more discussion, but I haven't looked hard for it yet.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 pm
MMT F.E.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]