It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Transom Height Help 
MMT Member

Post Transom Height Help
Hey guys. New to the forum, been reading for a while but can't find any info on this situation. I've seen a lot of guys ask about running short transom SD on a tall transom boat but haven't really found any info on running tall transom SD on short transom boat. I recently bought a 2011 xpress bayou and am looking at a 35 go devil. The go devil is a tall transom and I measured my transom at 17 inches. What issues would come from running a tall transom on a short transom boat? The boat is a mud hull so transom angle should be okay. I called go devil and they said they make a bracket for running a tall transom on short boat. You bolt the bracket to the transom and mount the motor to the bracket. Anyone know anything about that? If that wouldn't work I suppose I could add 3" to the transom no problem and fairly cheap. I've attached pictures of how I would try and add 3" to the transom height. Just curious what issues would arise from each of these scenarios and what the best option would be.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Transom Height Help
If you are going to run a tall transom, you need to build up your current transom. For a gatortail, the optimal height is 20 3/4 - 21. If you run the tall transom motor on a shorter transom motor, you will lose performance because you won't be able to trim up and get the motor to drive on the surface. With running a long transom on a short transom, it would equate to trimming down all the way on a tall transom motor on a tall transom boat, if that makes sense. Get it built up and it will perform as it was intended to bro

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:43 pm
MMT Member

Ok that makes sense. I figured performance would suffer just was unsure why. Now just have to find someone in Oklahoma who works on boat transoms to build it up. Thanks man!

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 pm
MMT 1000 Club

No problem buddy, hope it helps you out. Building the transom up is not a difficult job so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who does it

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 am
MMT F.E.

get it built stout because that’s a lot of stress going on back there. I ran my tall transom go devil on a 16” transom for over a year. Not sure it ever decreased performance but it did splash a lot from water hitting lower unit. After I got it built up I did not notice a speed change, but it may have been minimal and I didn’t notice . I was expecting a bigger change and it didn’t happen. Mines @20”. Someone said 19” was perfect but GD said 20” if I’m not mistaken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]