It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Gator Tail momentary clutch 
MMT F.E.

Post Gator Tail momentary clutch
I’ve seen a few versions of this floating around, but hadn’t seen one that I really liked so I made my own. Figured I’d share it for anyone curious.

I wanted to make a momentary clutch switch because of bowfishing. Having to reach up to the switch box was irritating so I decided to mount one on the end of my tiller. Also, I wanted a quick way to get someone who may not know how to drive a mudmotor back there and bump on and off the clutch when we fish. Figured “bump the red button” would be easy enough to describe.

Here’s all it took. I bought a momentary switch that also had a red LED around it so I could tel people easily what to push. I took a washer that was the OD of the tiller handle, and drilled it out some so the switch would fit through. I then put a black rubber washer on the switch, then the drilled out washer, then the little nut to hold them on. I did this so that the button had something to push against instead of just flexing the rubber handle. I then drilled out the handle, slid the assembly in, and then used a few progressive layers of JB weld plastic bond in black to adhere it all together.

Now when the key is on, the LED lights up.

For the electrical, I ran the hot for the circuit from the back of the original clutch switch. I put black tape around the two wires I connected in the spade so that you can tell which ones it was. Use a 12V indicator though to make sure it’s the right one if you haven’t opened your box before.

All the wires are run through the tiller handle and into the normal loom. The remaining two wires are just spliced into the normal clutch wires. This is a parallel circuit so if either the regular switch or this momentary goes out, the other works. The rubber washer is there to both keep moisture out and to cover the silver washer so it looks neater. The momentary switch is supposedly water resistant and I sealed it in pretty good so hopefully it works for a good while.

So far this works in the yard. Going to try it out soon and will let y’all know if any of the parts fail and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Gator Tail momentary clutch
Great write up and pictures. You will love it. I like it. I did one for a buddy back in 2012 and its still working good. I have one in mine also, it makes grabbing decoys and loading up so much easier. The way I did mine the switch is inside the grip and you can't see it.

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:33 pm
MMT F.E.

I looked up the other 2-3 Versions for GT guys on here had done. I had considered doing one inside the tiller, but I settled on this “design” because it would be illuminated for all the nights I take people out that don’t know how to drive a GT, and 2 it seemed a little more ergonomic being flush mount. My concern with it being flush mount is longevity compared to a recess mount, but it may not be an issue. Worst case, I can yank it off and put a new handle on for $12. So far though it seems to be a high value and low cost upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Great post

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

That came out really nice bro