It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 5500 Mag 
MMT Member

Post 5500 Mag
Hey guys been a follower for a while just havent posted much. I have a 17x50 Gator trax hybrid v with a hunt deck, mudbuddy 5500 mag, Hammer prop. It has been a really good boat and motor. I duck hunt a lot out of it. I know these things arent built to go 50 mph or nothing but i want everything i can get out of it. Its runs 29 with me by myself in deep water at 4200/4300 rpm(which seems slow compared to what i read or hear from other folks). Loaded 4 men dog and all gear it runs 17/18 in deep water, substantially faster in shallow water. Just wondering if there are some things i can do to pick up a little more top end and hole shot with a load. What are some good mods that i can do to help it out that wont break the bank. The motor is stock just like mudbuddy built it(with the exception of a new set of heads two years ago), has the stock q stainless muffler, Motor has 500 plus hrs on it and is a 2012. Is this what i can expect out of my rig, or am i leaving some power on the table? Thanks for your time guys!

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 5500 Mag
Measure your prop. The hammer isnt a speed prop, but should maintain speed with a load better than that (ie, you should be closer to 20/21). At 4200 rpms with that prop, your speed seems close to where it should be solo. I wouldn't expect more than about 32 or so solo if you were able to spin 4600 with the hammer. If you went to a worked big blade (that was matched to your typical load, motor, and boat combo), you'd could likely hit that 35 mark solo, and still run low 20s with 4 (unless your 4 are all big guys and their gear). Dont get too hung up on matching what you read, or expecting outboard type speeds. Physics still applies, and these boats aren't meeting some of those magical speeds claimed. It is the internet, after all.

Also, do a compression test, and a leakdown test. Report the numbers back here. It's possible your engine is in need of a refresh somewhere inside and that's why your loaded numbers arent quite where they could be.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:36 am
MMT Elite Member

Leave 2 of those 4 guys at the dock - that will improve speeds - LOL

A new prop is usually the best money spent....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 am
MMT Sponsor

What they said,,,, and inspect the bottom of the boat! Most of those boats have a hook in the bottom,,, or worse “the double hook” lol

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

A worked big blade would probably do you will. I have an 11 pitch big blade for sale if you are interested in it. If not, feel free to send me some pictures of your hammer and I can see what condition it is in and what all can be done to help it out.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]