It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Pregreased Trailer Hubs???? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Pregreased Trailer Hubs????
How many here either repack or replace their trailer bearings? Or do you simply buy pregreased hubs that have have the bearings, raceways and seals already installed? I am contemplating buying a couple of pregreased hubs and throwing those on the trailer and taking one of the existing hubs and replace the bearings and throwing it in the back of the truck for emergencies.

If anyone have bought pregreased hubs, do you a recommendation on a good place to purchase?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:09 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Pregreased Trailer Hubs????
I typically repack my own, but I have used pregreased once. I buy my trailer parts at either Northern Tool or etrailer.com typically.

I have heard of guys keeping a pregreased on on hand just in case.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am
MMT Addict

I carry a spare hub with me all the time. In my opinion this is an absolute must in case you have a bearing failure. If a bearing fails it will be at an extremely inconvenient place and time. If you have a spare hub you can service the problem right there in a matter of minutes.

I would say most be don't do what you are asking, so you are already ahead of the game.

As part of annual trailer maintenance I remove all lug nuts because they will become seized if not. In the shop I remove the hub and take a look at it. I used to repack them myself, but replaced the hub with a grease zerk at the back. This pushes all the old grease out and replaces it with new grease.

I also inspect the rear seal and replace that about every other year.

As for pregreased hubs you can find those at sporting goods, hardware stores , or all over online.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 am
MMT Pro Member

I just put a pregreased hub on my trailer to replace an oil bath hub. I have the old McClain trailer that came with oil bath hubs. I truly loved the oil bath hubs; but cannot find them anywhere that is a slap on and go assembly.

That being said, I bought another pregreased hub and keep it with me Incase what DPD said and the unexpected happens. Then I will buy another pregreased hub just Incase.

When I go out my round trip is typically 200 miles. Having a trailer failure is not an option for me.

Also, Just an FYI, make sure you check the pregreased hubs to ensure all the parts are there (and there is actually grease in them). Especially at big box stores. I was doing this and found that someone had taken an old hub off their trailer, repacked it in the box, and taken it back to the store. The store had just put it back on the shelf without checking it. (Then again, the sales associate may have not known when they were doing).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am
MMT F.E.

Bearing Buddy's

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]