It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 40 EFI cam, heads and exhaust 
MMT Pro Member

Post 40 EFI cam, heads and exhaust
Starting to entertain the idea of some motor balls sooner than anticipated. Know my way around a Briggs small block enough to take one apart and put it all back together flush but that’s about as far as my motor expertise goes. Never done my own mods on big block but pretty sure I could handle heads and cam myself, would a retune also be needed for this upgrade? (This ones the big one got me scratchin my head which route to go for parts)

2nd question- gearing? [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR] Id like to think stock gearing on GD’s come configured as good as their gonna get for use but gotta bring it up (could be an entire separate discussion in itself I know). I do not know the stock gear ratio.

Performance goals: no issues whatsoever getting on plane heavy loaded level; hit 30 mph w/ modest load at 4500’ elevation; maintain reliability as much as possible.

Motor: Go Devil 40 FNR
Hull: 20’ WC Custom mud hull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 40 EFI cam, heads and exhaust
Will or Marcus should be able to point you in the right direction bro

Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

I did a cam, heads, modded throttle body, had the ECU reprogrammed and added a tuner to adjust the fuel. I ended up doing exhaust also after blowing the outlet out of two stock exhausts. It wasn't that bad, all wiring is pretty much plug and play, same with the fuel lines. Looking back on it, I believe the 40HP stock cam is plenty if you don't want to split it. Could probably see a good improvement with just head work. The stock 40hp is good enough to the point you wont see a huge jump like we did on the old carb motors.
If you adjust the idle at all, you have to adjust the throttle position sensors as well. To really dial it in after you get the fuel management tuner, you'll need an AFR meter. Unless you can tune it by ear and plug signs.

Note, Wchauvin is speaking of Will Carter that can provide a service, I'm plain "old Will" from Florida that does my own stuff and been around a time or three. haha

Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You sound like you know your stuff as well bro, I would definitely take your advice to heart too, that’s for sure

Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 pm
MMT Pro Member

I’ve got no issues splitting the motor and doing the cam. Heads no problem. It’s the fuel and tuning on the EFI I’ll have no clue about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon May 20, 2019 11:18 pm
MMT Elite Member

Splitting these new ones is not bad at all, no gasket to deal with, just yamabond. Nice, pretty rods too. :)

You'll have to get someone to change the ECU, usually send it to them, they can make the rev limit whatever you want. May not have to do anything to it if the 4800 is sufficient. I personally don't like it banging the limiter and raised mine to 5500.

The tuning... If you can tune a carb with jets, this is easy. With a DIY or Dobeck EFI tuner, it's a couple of buttons to reduce or add fuel. It has an idle setting, mid/acceleration and WOT as if you are changing jets and adjusting the needle on a carb but way faster :lol:

You use the same injectors and same wiring. The only thing that can be tricky is setting the throttle position sensor once your idle is good. It's not bad once you figure it out. You'll need a volt meter for that.

When you first take the cover off and see all of the wires and fuel lines, you may think, oh shit, but there's not much to it at all once you dive in. Everything has it's place and can only go back one way.

Do it :twisted:

Tue May 21, 2019 4:29 am
MMT Elite Member

One thing about the IDLE function is the ECm has a target idle RPM programmed. If you vary too far from that target idle even after adjusting the TPS to the correct voltage, You will still have idle fluctuations at odd times. The IAC will probably be making some odd noises trying to keep up with the demands. Stock is about 850 Idle rpm.

Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 am
MMT Elite Member

That 850, in gear idle?

Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 am
MMT Pro Member

Parts makes this whole deal more of a dilemma for me cuz I've got BPS right here in my backyard. I know that I want best for quality and performance goals, but I also dont wanna be troubleshooting this BS thru the end of next duck season.

Nothing against BPS those guys are great guys, its a niche thing and IMO they marketed their brand better and pioneered the whole deal before anyone else did.. They do OKAY for their UT customer base, but they basically have a giant monopoly up here. Done my research enough to know and facts are the IM heads AREN'T the best of the best. I want nothing but the best of the best going in my $9k engine, and I'd be down to be the only motor runnin a voodoo in UT :twisted: :twisted:

I basically gotta decide between BPS parts for having those guys right there along the way to help thru the whole process; or go the best route for QC but do EVERYTHING myself without any margin for error. Because I obviously cant buy parts from someone else then expect BPS to do my re-tune or fix my fuck up.

Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 am
MMT Elite Member

Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 am
MMT Elite Member

Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 am
MMT Elite Member

If you can do mods on a carb and tune a carb, you can do the EFI.

Tue May 21, 2019 11:23 am
MMT Pro Member

I'm gonna consult the right people. Do my research on this tuning business and figure this out.

Cam, heads, exhaust and tuner.. Am I missing anything for first round? I've already got the new throttle lever and cable in. I'll do prop as well but not even starting that discussion yet. :roll:

Delta Performance or Nick Wiley?? Or open other suggestions... I need reliability and some solid service and patience. Someone who can really help walk me thru this remotely.

Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 am
MMT F.E.

Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am
MMT Pro Member

Wed May 22, 2019 11:12 am
MMT 1000 Club

Will and Marcus are both excellent. Marcus has never not answered questions for me and will be doing some work to my 40 this summer

Wed May 22, 2019 5:33 pm
MMT Elite Member

Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Police salary Will, I have to save money and cut corners to get extra things. The struggle is real bro. Two jobs, a wife that works, and a young baby. I have to save in advance my brother lol I keep telling myself it will get better eventually, but I haven’t seen it yet lol 8 years on the road and nothing to show for it in my account lol

And you may think, how do you have a new gatortail and boat if you don’t make money. This is a good question. I sold a mustang GTP I built in my garage with my dad to buy the motor and I worked 6 months of Walmart details to buy the hull, which I got used out of Pierre part (built in 1988). I knew the guy who did my welding work, and all my lights on my boat come from amazon. I wanted to get something nice for me and my “approaching 70 year old dad” to enjoy duck hunting together, which is our favorite father and son pastime. Rest assured that one day, (I’ve sworn this to myself), I won’t have to struggle to have things. One day I’ll be able to relax a bit.....but it is not this day lol :D

Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]