It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Case gasket 
MMT Member

Post Case gasket
Has anyone on here ran into a problem getting the correct case gasket for a 36pd. There are two different ones, one of them has 3 holes for an extra pin and the other only has 2. I spoke to Silk on the phone and he is going to get me the proper part number for the one I have this afternoon. I was just wondering if anyone else had ran into this problem.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Case gasket
I'd say if you got your old one look at it and see with one of the new ones matches up hole for hole.

The more you try to teach a stupid person something the dumber you get!!!

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm
MMT Member

The one with the 3 wholes in the photo is the old one and the one with the 2 is the one that
was shipped.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 pm
MMT Pro Member

Your engine has the newer briggs block, made post jan 08, it has the extra dowel pin near the oil
passageways (they're attempt to fix the sump cover from eating the gasket there). They still have hundreds of the old gaskets in inventory, and they told me at one point, that they would continue to ship the old until they run out.......the part #'s were gonna stay the same. Now that may have changed since then? They also have the steel reinforced old shape gasket in the mix. You can check with a magnet, if it sticks to the replacement gasket, its the other attempt to fix any leak issue with the pre jan 08 blocks. You can modify that reinforced gasket with a dremel tool to work on the 3dowel block, just take a tungsten grinder bit grind away the gasket/steel to accomodate the dowel pin by the oil passages, which should last longer than the non reinforced asket, in theory. Not sure if they are lasting longer with the steel core gasket or not?

Be extra picky about removing all the oil you can from the blind case bolt holes in the block and drain the sump cover of all the oil you possibly can. Even works good to blow compressed air into the oil pump passageways in the sump cover to blow out the oil pump also! This will keep oil from dripping down into the case bolt holes and onto the bolts, rendering loctite worthless. I go so far as to clean the bolts with alcohol or carb cleaner, clean out the bolt holes with the same using q-tips, and a good many drops of blue loctite........never had any issues with bolts getting loose by doing so. As long as you didn't slice the crank seal on the crankshaft keyway edges when removing it, you can re-use the old one a few times with no prob.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the info. RC

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:27 pm
MMT Member

Big thanks to Extreme V Twins for getting me the proper gasket

Thanks a bunch Robert

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]