It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Gov. screw & idle screw ??? 
MMT Member

Post Gov. screw & idle screw ???
My rpms was at 3450 so I turned the Gov. screw and got it back to 4150 at full throttle. Now I cant get my idle down, I tryed to turn the idle screw but looks like the spring is not letting it go back far enough. I am a rookie at this stuff, I need some help if yall could . THANKS.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:54 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Gov. screw & idle screw ???
do a search with the author deadbird8 under the engine forum. He has some pics of it up. How high are your rpms at idle now?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:58 pm
MMT Member

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:24 pm
MMT Pro Member

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 pm
MMT Member

Yes 1950 2000 at idle. That was after turning the gov. Screw to get the rpms at 4150 at wot out the water

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:09 pm
MMT Pro Member

gottcha. I think I confused myself a little. shoulda re read the 1st post.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm
MMT Elite Member

yea thats real high. You tried adjusting the idle screw on the side the carb correct and it will not move?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

sounds like u might have put your linkage in a bine

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm
MMT Member

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

duplicate

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 am
MMT 1000 Club

Setting the Idle

Make sure your throttle cable has full travel. Clamp down the throttle handle on the tiller with the engine off and make sure the slide where the throttle cable connects at the back of the motor has full travel in its track. If it doesn't, loosen the clamp holding the throttle cable at the back of the engine and pull on the cable until the slide travels fully to the end and then retighten the clamp.

Warm the engine up 5 minutes (always set idle with a warm engine).

Push the throttle lever on the carb up against the idle adjustment screw and hold it there. Set the idle adjustment screw so the engine idles at 1100 RPM when you are pushing the throttle against the adjustment screw. Let go of the throttle, if the engine idle raises do not worry about it at this time. Its easier to drill a small hole in the front cowling to allow a screwdriver through the cowling to adjust the idle (this is optional).

Setting the Governor

Make sure the governor spring is in the slot furthest toward the muffler on the governor arm. With the engine warm, slowly clamp the throttle lever on the tiller to check your max out of the water (OOW) RPM setting. You want to set the governor OOW at ~4200RPM. To adjust the governor up, use a Phillips screw driver to turn the governor adjustment screw in the back of the engine clockwise, to adjust down turn it counter clockwise. Slowly increase the throttle until the max RPM on the tach reads ~4200 at full throttle, release the throttle slowly back to idle and raise it again slowly to make sure the setting is correct. If you goose the throttle the engine may surge as the governor spring oscillates. With the governor set correctly, slowly let off the throttle to return to idle.

Now when the engine is idling, recheck your idle RPM. If it stays at 1100RPM you are done. If the governor plate is pulling the idle up (watch it at idle- you may see it pulsing and pulling the throttle off the idle screw). If so, go to the tab on the governor plate that the small white spring in the back connects to. You will see that spring is what is pulling on the governor plate (pulling it off idle screw). Turn off the engine and bend the horizontal tab slightly to take some pressure off that spring (bend toward the engine- this is a slight adjustment). Restart the motor and recheck the idle and WOT. That small spring is the 'Governed Idle Spring' and sets the lowest idle that your motor will go when presented with a load (like engaging the clutch in the water).

Final check is in the water with load. Warm up the motor in the water at idle. With the boat stopped in the water, engage the clutch with the engine idling. If the engine struggles or dies when presented with the load then adjust the governed idle tab a little back toward the muffler (this is a minor adjustment). Set it so the motor doesn't die but it also doesn't pull your idle up either. Its a balance, and the motor should idle in the water at about 1100 RPM.

If you just can't get the tab at the right pressure that it doesn’t pull up the idle then leave the tab where it doesn't die when you engage the clutch in the water. With the motor off and air cleaner plate removed, disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb. Use two sets of pliers (one to hold and one to bend)and add a slight more bend to the throttle linkage (once again, this is a slight adjustment). By shortening this rod (adding more bend) it will pull on the throttle lever of the carb and peg the throttle to the idle adjustment screw.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:06 am
MMT Sponsor

Great writeup DB8, how do I go about saving this thread so I can look at it later if I need to?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

You cannot mess with Gary,thanks as always for your help

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Just one more thing to help. This may be obvious to some and not to others. When I was fooling with my throttle assembly, my throttle would not spring back to idle after pegging it, all with the engine off. For all those springs to work in unison, the engine has to running. That's straight from Hoyt at gatortail.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:50 am
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Thank you for your help , I will try it tomm.
Another thing I would like to ask is why everybody on this site is going 28-30 mph withthe same boat and motor , I have a 18x52 gator- tail with a 35gtr and a new prop and went out today and could only go 25 with just me and 9gals of gas. I would love to know. I have my rpms at 4250 wot out the water.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm
MMT Member

I am going to try to fix the idle tomorrow.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 pm
MMT Member

Ok now it will go to idle (1100 1200) only when i rev it up and put back down quick. But if I rev it up and then put it back down slow it still idles high (1700 or so) The boat is a center console boat. I really appreciate all of yall help. Thanks.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Do you have the spring on the throttle slide like in the pic? Its a MB part and will ensure the slide bottoms back down.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 pm
MMT Member

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Spring on the governed idle tab to the throttle slide in the back where the throttle cable hooks in.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:15 pm
MMT Member

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:41 pm
MMT Member

I talked to someone at gator-tail not sure who it was but he said that the center console boats dont have a spring for that. He told me to screw the throttle cable to get more out off it. I tryed that and it didnt work. I played with it all , I just seem not to get it right. It seems that the throttle slide is not going back far enough. I put grease on it and tryed that and it didnt work. I thought that tighting the throttle cable would work but it dont tighten any more and it still as threads. It still will idle right if I rev it up and slam the throttle lever down it will idle right. But if I am bowfishing I cant keep putting it in neutal and doing that I need it to work right. If I cant get it right I am just going to bet it with a hammer. haha

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Hammer always works for me.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:49 am

Post geek squad tech support
such attacks if you tend to open some suspicious emails or websites. It becomes essential to sort the problems as they may interfere the security and privacy of your information. Malfunctioning of the devices is another primary concern that needs to be dealt with as early as possible. Resolve all sorts of issues related to electronic appliances and desktops/laptops from the tech-savvy people. In the present world of digitization, it has essential to safeguard our confidential data against malicious access. We have proficient engineers who are well versed in removing spyware, malware and viruses and that too at economical prices. Furthermore we offer our users the ultimate cyber security solution Geek Squad Webroot. The software is capable of managing the security of all your ever essential devices.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 am

Post geek squad tech support
such attacks if you tend to open some suspicious emails or websites. It becomes essential to sort the problems as they may interfere the security and privacy of your information. Malfunctioning of the devices is another primary concern that needs to be dealt with as early as possible. Resolve all sorts of issues related to electronic appliances and desktops/laptops from the tech-savvy people. In the present world of digitization, it has essential to safeguard our confidential data against malicious access. We have proficient engineers who are well versed in removing spyware, malware and viruses and that too at economical prices. Furthermore we offer our users the ultimate cyber security solution Geek Squad Webroot. The software is capable of managing the security of all your ever essential devices.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]