It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 31 HP VANGUARD BIG BLOCK FUEL/CARB PROBS 
MMT Member

Post 31 HP VANGUARD BIG BLOCK FUEL/CARB PROBS
Allright fella's i got a question for ya. I bought this 31 hp vanguard and was running great when i bought it. It needed all new seals in the shaft "godevil long shaft frame", so i had it tore apart in my shop when my job required 60 hours a week, so it got pushed to the side. My problem now is it will not crank. I have it narrowed down to a fuel issue. I think it is getting way to much fuel and fouling it out. I have ordered a new carb rebuild kit and am going to try it first, but last night i decided to take the carb apart and see if the float was stuck or if i could see any trash.
All looked good and was not dirty at all inside, but when i put it back together same thing.
I good take the fuel line off and get it started and it would run till the fuel in the carb would run out and then hook fuel line back up to fill the carb and run it till it flooded it out again.
So i know its something in my carb but hadnt put my finger on it yet.
THere is a small "selonoid" looking valve with a plug and two wires coming off the the float housing that i dont know what that is? Any ideas??

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: 31 HP VANGUARD BIG BLOCK FUEL/CARB PROBS
That solenoid on the bottom of the carb is called an anti backfire solenoid. It should make a single click every time the key switch is turned on or off. If you dont hear it click that is your problem (it is not letting any gas into the motor). You can either replace it or eliminate it (by putting a bolt in its place).

The anti backfire solenoid is for use on motors that run a constant rpm (like a generator), so that when you turn the key switch off and the motor is running at 3000 rpms, it is designed to shut off the fuel flow to the mtoor.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 am
MMT Member

Sweet, i will just eliminate it and try that, sounds to me like an extra part when it comes to a mud motor engine, just more crap to have problems with, thanks.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:47 am
MMT Member

Well the backfire selonoid seems to be working, since i hear the clicking noise. So... back to square one. I did tare the carb apart last night and got it soaking in a carb cleaner and if my new kit comes in today i will rebuild it and try this.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]