| Author |
Message |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It seems like the guys who have the 25GTR are all happy. I plan on putting one an another 16.5*46 Instagator, similar (but not identical) to Lucecr's.
The one comment I keep seeing is that they don't have the torque of the big blocks, even though the speed with light loads seems to be better than expected from a small block.
I don't run plan on running mud. Only vegetation. Mostly hydrilla and lilly pads here in FL, along with bulrush within reason---I understand it isn't an airboat. Load will almost always with 2 guys in the boat/decoys/2 guns; we're both under 185lbs.
Does the lack of torque mostly affect mud performance? Or will it suffer in vegetation as well? I plan on putting Gatorglide on it as soon as I get it.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Are you hp restricted if not get a 35
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
16.5x46 is bigger than I wanted to begin with.
I'm not HP restricted. But I'm money-restricted. This is my second boat and I'm trying to keep this as close to $10k as possible.
I'll ask this despite the hell I'm sure that will follow:
Would you sooner put a GTR25 on it, or a 35 MudBuddy? They're almost the same price.
I hear you on the 35. But what I really want to know is, is mud the biggest challenge to the torque on these small blocks? The little 18 Copperheads seem to cut vegetation pretty well. I was hoping the 25 (28) GTR would do what I needed it to do.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm |
|
 |
|
BKScripto
MMT Pro Member
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 am Posts: 482
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
If you're thinking GTR25 or 35 Mudbuddy, why not think GTR25 or GT35 (no reverse model) since the Mudbuddy won't have reverse anyway. A GT35 is about the same price as a GTR25.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It will do it no problem. It will do it better than any other small hp motor out their
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm |
|
 |
|
dadazzsaleen
MMT Addict
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 pm Posts: 743 Location: Mandeville, LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
It will work.
_________________ [Stage 2.5]
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm |
|
 |
|
mizzippi jb
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm Posts: 5077 Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Gunn, one of the main reasons that I went with the 25 Subaru is the change up from Briggs. I have had a couple of Briggs engines and I got tired of changing the case gasket and the possibility of a cracked case. Also, the Efi will be a real plus in the cold temps. I run a couple of robins on some floor cut saws that we have, and they are tough as nails. They have been put through the ringer by our Mexicans with little to no maintenance or service and they still crank and run like champs. Nothing against the Briggs engines, but I just wanted something different this go round.
_________________ HOTSAUCE170 wrote: I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm |
|
 |
|
mizzippi jb
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm Posts: 5077 Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Also, if Arkie ever goes back to a strict 25 hp limit (like no 35 mm's) then I will still be good.
_________________ HOTSAUCE170 wrote: I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I'm somewhat familiar with the Subaru Robin engines and that's what caught my attention. We use the 5hp ones here to dive with on a Brownie's Third Lung for lobster. If you haven't seen one, it's essentially an innertube with a Briggs, Honda, or Subaru 3.5-5hp motor in it with an air compressor and a dive flag, so you don't have to use SCUBA and never run low on air.
The Subarus and Hondas are much more respected than the Briggs here for that application; the Briggs are actually only offered in the "economy" models.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
25 Gtr or 35 gt Reverse is more important than 10 hp 25gtr
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 pm |
|
 |
|
mizzippi jb
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm Posts: 5077 Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Look at lucer's speeds with 4 people in his boat (granted, 1 woman and 2 kids prob equates to 3 men) and he was running 27-28 in deep water. That ain't very far off from a 35 stock.
_________________ HOTSAUCE170 wrote: I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm |
|
 |
|
lucecr
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am Posts: 1629
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
From what we've talked about the 25gtr should be fine. But you can never go wrong with more hp. 
_________________ InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!
dillakilla12 wrote:
I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm |
|
 |
|
mizzippi jb
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm Posts: 5077 Location: The duck Mecca called Ga!
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Same as mine. That ain't but 30 -40 lbs difference max.
_________________ HOTSAUCE170 wrote: I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid.
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm |
|
 |
|
lucecr
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am Posts: 1629
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!
dillakilla12 wrote:
I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
The open water speeds aren't what I'm worried about. I've seen all I need to see in Lucecr's boat. My concern is cutting the vegetation. I came across this video from last lobster miniseason, using a Brownie. I figured you LA/TX guys might enjoy it. Press play and then pause, so it loads fully, or it will be choppy in HD: https://vimeo.com/46790514
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Pintail, can you post a larger picture?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:15 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
|
| Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:16 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Well, damn.
My buddy just put a deposit down on an 1854 Excel (715lbs before pop-up blind) with a 35CDI Mudbuddy.
I wonder if that 25GTR will keep up.
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am |
|
 |
|
SCmudder7071
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm Posts: 3024
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ 1754 Extreme/LAProp Stage 2 GTR
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 am |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
The 1mph on the water will equal in walking away from another boat. The ones I seen run in Setx will walk away from a heavy boat with a stock 35.
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 pm |
|
 |
|
cut'em94
MMT Pro Member
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 pm Posts: 291 Location: Luling, LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I have the 25hp gatortail and i ride with people who have 35 gatortails and 36 prodrives, and I can go thru vegetation just as easy as them. So i would not worry if it will go thru lillies and such because it will.
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:10 pm |
|
 |
|
lucecr
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am Posts: 1629
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!
dillakilla12 wrote:
I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 pm |
|
 |
|
eljefe
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 am Posts: 5210 Location: Beaumont Texas
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
dem 25's will run......
_________________ You can't see the sunrise if your eyes are closed. dying aint much of a livin....
Black ops IITX marshstalker
1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com fuel injected 25 GTR
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm |
|
 |
|
Gameover
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am Posts: 3673 Location: Prarieville,LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I have a stock gtr and a gd boat that people also consider to be tanks and I left that 25 hp at setx
_________________ 1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives
Never Forget our Fallen Soliders
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm |
|
 |
|
eljefe
MMT Elite Member
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 am Posts: 5210 Location: Beaumont Texas
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
running from gsu to moon pond i kept having to back off because i was gaining on the 35hp gd that was in front of me......and luce has about 1 mph more than me.....looks like we should line em up and see, paint should be done by next weekend ( i hope!!!!) and i can then do the review on my boat and motor and run it alongside some of the 35's....ill make sure and get video. 
_________________ You can't see the sunrise if your eyes are closed. dying aint much of a livin....
Black ops IITX marshstalker
1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com fuel injected 25 GTR
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm |
|
 |
|
dfou
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 am Posts: 3986 Location: Pville, La
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm |
|
 |
|
deltaduckmaster
MMT Sponsor
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm Posts: 16608
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ 17x48 extreme stage 2 GTR 20X60 DUAL RIG BOWFISHING ADDITION http://www.scalesandtailsbowfishing.com
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm |
|
 |
|
Gameover
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am Posts: 3673 Location: Prarieville,LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ 1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives
Never Forget our Fallen Soliders
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 pm |
|
 |
|
lucecr
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am Posts: 1629
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!
dillakilla12 wrote:
I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 pm |
|
 |
|
Gameover
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:06 am Posts: 3673 Location: Prarieville,LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
a half float still better than a no float
_________________ 1754 GTR Xtreme CC w/ Purple Kool-aid Additives
Never Forget our Fallen Soliders
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm |
|
 |
|
QuackStacker5253
MMT Pro Member
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am Posts: 281 Location: Longview/Tyler Tx
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I could see the 25 keeping up if it was on a small light boat. But probably not on a larger boat...
_________________ 1748 WC Custom 27 mini
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:48 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm |
|
 |
|
TGunn
MMT F.E.
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm Posts: 764
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Sorry, Quacker. THat GIF file was just too perfect!
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm |
|
 |
|
Wildberry
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 pm Posts: 1018 Location: DA HAVEN FL,
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ EMF 16x42, 3/16 skiff, 35 GTR Stage 0
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm |
|
 |
|
QuackStacker5253
MMT Pro Member
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am Posts: 281 Location: Longview/Tyler Tx
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
Hahaha I figured that was comin after I thought about it!
_________________ 1748 WC Custom 27 mini
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm |
|
 |
|
cupped up
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:25 pm Posts: 4205 Location: St. Amant, LA
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
I know everyone has been jumping up and down and fallin on the ground about the speeds the 25 rigs are getting and it's definitely impressive but how does their power in the nasty stuff compare to the big block? IMO that's more important than 2-3 mph...
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 pm |
|
 |
|
lucecr
MMT 1000 Club
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 am Posts: 1629
|
 Re: 25GTR vs 35GTR?
_________________ InstaGator 16.5' x 46" 25efi GTR. Running 30+ SOLD!!!!
dillakilla12 wrote:
I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?
|
| Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm |
|
 |
|