It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 37 EFI vs. 35 w/ mods 
MMT Member

Post 37 EFI vs. 35 w/ mods
I'm new to this stuff so forgive me if this topic has already been posted. I tried to search for it but couldn't find one. I'm going to be in the market for a motor before next season and wanted to know what you guys would choose. Not looking for any input on specific brand, only the choice of power plant. If you guys had to choose which route to go would you pick a Stock 37 EFI or a 35 with mods like heads, carb, new coils, performance exhaust? How would these two engines perform side by side on an identical hull with identical load. Is the EFI system more reliable than carbureted motor? Thanks!

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: 37 EFI vs. 35 w/ mods
If you plan on doing your own Maintenance and performance mods, I would stay with a carbed version. If planning on having your dealer service your motor go with EFI. As far as performance on the same hull with the same load it could be a toss up. So much more you can do at home with a carbed model. And if something happens out on the water carbed version would be easier to trouble shoot . IMO

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the feedback Denny. Im glad I could at least get one response on this topic. Probably because I'm looking for knowledgeable facts rather than opinions on here. I'm sure if I had said. "I think I want to buy a PD over the GTR" I would have had plenty of people chime in...haha :D

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 am
MMT Elite Member

Stock EFI is 37 HP. A heads, cam, carb, exhaust 35 is about 48-50 HP. Stock motors work until you put them on a heavy boat, load the boat down with 3 people, gear, and expect it to run upper 20's. Most are disappointed as so many people lie about speeds.

A modded efi is very attractive too. I have had good success with EFI's aswell

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am
MMT F.E.

EFI easier starting, smoother idle, less add ons to make it run "good". If I had or when i get and EFI will run it for 100 hours to season heads then have them worked then maybe a BPS Q. Bugs on the EFI are worked out. Good care after running helps a lot. You cant take any of them dog'em and hot rod'em then park them til next time, a little TLC goes a long way. Imo
I am running a 2011 35 GTR CDI, with carb, heads and exhaust- 400+ hours later yes I have had to work on it and have shop work on it but overall, I have been satisfied with it, been on 2 different boats, boat does make ma big difference.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:54 am
MMT F.E.

Post 37 EFI vs. 35 w/ mods

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am
MMT Member

Thank you for the reply's. Hopefully the EFI's have the all bugs worked out by now. Maxxis, does a modified 35 carbureted engine really put out that much horsepower? Seems like it's all a matter of preference. Looked at BPS website and they have upgrades kits for EFI's. It's sounding like you can spend about the same amount of money to get a 45 hp carbureted motor all modded up as you would a 37 EFI with upgrades to make it a 45ish hp motor which would probably be more reliable. I suppose I should think about it in terms of an old muscle car vs. a new corvette. Both cars are fast but just in different ways. Thanks again everyone. This will be on my brain for a while now...lol

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:03 pm
MMT Elite Member

Yes with GOOD ported heads, a GOOD 3 angle valve job, PROPERLY tuned Carburetor, and a matched camshaft you can build good power. All the same mods you can do to a carb motor is available for an EFI. I like the EFI timing better as its more apt to spark the mixture at the right time vs a fixed system like coils (well CDI has some advance but its rpm dependent, Not load dependent aswell).
Also efi and carb are the same unit. Only thing different is the fuel delivery and igniton system. They use the same block, crank, rods, pistons, and camshaft. The stock heads have had some imporvement via a larger intake valve and a multi angle valve job on the intake only. It still sufferes from seat walk.
Run it stock and then you can always modify it later. Im an advocated for a better camshaft, and good flowing cylinder heads.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]