It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Midwest Super Cub Crank 
MMT Member

Post Midwest Super Cub Crank
I recently bought a 25 Kohler go devil long tail and have thought about putting the super cub crank in it. Has anybody on here done this to their Kohler? Thanks, Dillon

Fri May 12, 2017 2:22 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Midwest Super Cub Crank
Ive heard that stroker crank mentioned on here a couple times. Both times were very good results from what I remember

Fri May 12, 2017 2:37 pm
MMT Member

Thanks, I think I'm going to go ahead and order it and give it a try. I talked to Julian on the phone over the past few days and he seems to think it'd be the best bang for the buck at this point.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:57 pm
MMT Sponsor

Keep is updated on the build, sounds like fun

Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 pm
MMT Member

Should be interesting, I already ordered the bps q exhaust and the modded stock carb that Midwest offers.

Fri May 12, 2017 3:33 pm
MMT Member

Dillon

I shipped my motor 25 Kohler to Julian and couldn't be more happy with the results. He did what he would do to your rig and made it a stroker motor. The dyno test had it pushing almost 40 horses and had a 25-30% increase in low end torque. Carried a Load much better, but very little change on the top end speed (long tail FYI).

All in all,the economics make more sense just to buy the 36 motor. But I'm a tinkerer and love upgrading stuff. Given the opportunity, I'd do the same thing because I learned a lot and kept myself entertained. Next go round I will buy the larger motor.

If you need any help with shipping advice I can't help there.

Sat May 13, 2017 12:53 pm
MMT Member

I originally planned on shipping my motor to him but decided to build it my self since duck season is still a ways out. Did he say how much he decked the heads? I have a guy close to me that is going to do the machining work

Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm
MMT F.E.

Sat May 13, 2017 7:15 pm
MMT Member

He didn't deck the heads. Just put a different crankshaft and upgraded the rods. I asked him about also decking heads or upgrading the carb to a double barrel. He said the single barrel carb with stock header on the Kohler performed better than the double barrel. He also didn't want to deck the heads because he was worried about detonation. I haven't done a compression test to see what psi I'm running but have always been interested in adding just a little more.
I'm interested in hearing about the results if you deck the heads. My motor is getting a little older and might want to push it to the limit towards the end of its life. Really just to see what it can or cannot do.
For reference when talking about top speed, I have the GD 18x44 boat with the longshaft Kohler 25. Gator glide on the boat and upgrades we've already spoke about. With 9x7 prop my top speed was between 22 and 23 mph with myself (175 lbs). With 3 man hunting load it still do 20. I've also found that in our marsh, it performs better with a 9x6 prop.

Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm
MMT Sponsor

Thats a good runnin longtail

Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm
MMT Member

I'm going to be running mine on a 18-42 crawfish skiff. I'm going to end up taking my motor to Robert that used to be a part of evt. He's going to install the crank and deck the heads, I ordered a worked stock carb for Midwest as well that's going on it. It's also going to have a bps q exhaust on it. Hopefully be a good running little motor when completed.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 pm
MMT Member

How much did the worked stock carb cost? and what did MWSC do to it?

Also, how much will everything cost you installed by Robert? I'm in your area and may be interested in getting the worked carb and heads decked by your guy. Would like to do a compression test on my rig first to see if I'm comfortable with it.

Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 pm
MMT Member

It's got a little bigger venturi .150 and adjustable main jet. It's 135 for the one with the choke plate and you mail them your stock one as a core charge.

Robert charges 250 for the heads and I haven't asked him what the crank installation is going to run. He's done work to my previous motors and was always very fair.

They have a Facebook page with more information on the carb. Or you can call and just talk to Julian

Sun May 21, 2017 1:21 pm
MMT Member

Just dropped the motor off to Robert with all the parts, looks like with gaskets and labor it's going to run me about 600 to install the crank, port and polish intake, and install new rings on the pistons. It also needs some new wiring installed. Hopefully the stock worked carb from mwsc will come in this week and it can be completed in the next two weeks.

He doesn't want to deck the heads due to the crank. I fully trust him so I'm going to leave them be.

Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 pm
MMT Member

Let me know the results D. Is he going to have an opportunity to dyno when he does all mods?

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 pm
MMT Member

Should be done by next week and I'll be getting it put back on the frame to run it. He ended up deciding to do the heads after all so we shall see how it goes. I haven't asked him to put in on a dyno but I'll see if it's a option on Monday.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:28 am
MMT Member

How's the juiced up motor run? Want to hear how it all turned out.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:42 am
MMT Member

Just recieved the motor back today. I'm going to put it back on the boat this week hopefully and run it.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 pm
MMT Member

Ran the boat yesterday morning for the first time.

With me 240, my dad at 210 and my boykins it pulled a steady 24 bumping 25 in deep water. That's with a fairly decent 9x7 prop and just 3 gallons of gas. I will be adding a aluminum floor and other accessories this week. Pretty happy with the results for a 25. The motor makes a unbelievable amount of torque for what it is. It seems to have more torque than my old stage one gdsd did.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 pm
MMT Sponsor

Sounds like a strong one. Thanks for sharing the build

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 pm
MMT Member

How much does the crank Run? I'm curious about building my 25 up, I can deck the heads myself I was just wondering about the need of port and polish? Thanks guys

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]