It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Water in my fuel 
MMT Member

Post Water in my fuel
Hey guys..
my performance has been suffering, even after bringing it out to prodrive. I would run 4300 rpms then randomly lose 400 rpms. Well I found a LOT of water in my gas. I've been running ethanol free since I bought it. Wondering if this gas station around my house just sucks. Once I get home, I'm draining the tank and going elsewhere. I'll just have to hunt up another place that sells ethanol gas.
Anyone got any ideas on how I had water in my fuel? ( if said gas station didn't have water in gas originally)

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Water in my fuel
How old was your ethanol free gas?

Do you keep your motor outside, uncovered?

Do you make really short runs with your motor?

Did prodrive tell you about the water in the gas?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:31 pm
MMT Addict

I used to buy non ethanol fuel. I had the same problem. When it was tested it was over 50% water and ethanol in my tank. Now I only run avgas and regular pump 93

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Just run regular pump 93 and a water separator...

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Metal tank? If you don't run enough to keep having to refresh the tank, condensation (air has moisture) will eventually cause enough water to be in your tank for this to be a problem. Have also seen a local gas station that their seal on their tank was leaking. They put a sign up saying don't use that octane until they had the opportunity to get their stuff fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

My aluminum tank hasn't been an issue at all. But every few months I do remove and dump my separator/filter. I change it once a year. I also run my boat quite a bit, fuels doesn't sit in there long.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

Non ethanol with stabil, no issues for me. Non ethanol will still separate and mess with carb if it sits up too long. I'd say the longest my boat sits is 3-4 weeks during the year though.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm
MMT Pro Member

Condensation can happen in any type container with anything in it. We could ruin half of a 50 gallon drum of gear oil just depending on where we stored it. If it gets full sun and is hot, then cools off overnight, it will condense inside.
It got me last fall. I left my gas tank under the front deck for too long.
Note the "tip" from Yamaha about dumping the fuel filter:
http://maintenance.yamahaoutboards.com/ ... el-system/
And...a Sierra brand spin on filter will rust fast internally.
I live in the universal epi-center of petroleum refining and there are no ethanol free stations near me. Unless Bucees in Baytown got it.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:44 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fuel/water separator, ethanol 93 octane and blue stabil marine. Never had an issue? Does your rig have a separator?

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:22 am
MMT Member

I keep my boat underneath a covered shed on the side of my barn.. the tank hasn't sat for more than a week and has happened a few times. I brought it back to prodrive bc I just had some minor problems fixed and they told me about it. Sure enough, about a third of a jar I pumped gas into was water. I don't have a fuel/water separator. If I got one, I'd need to find a cheap one because the recent work to the motor has kept me from saving any money this summer. College sucks dick.
Do you guys think I should still run ethanol free and try a different station? Or run 93 and buy a separator?
I put sea foam in every tank but I know that doesn't do shit for water. Thanks for the reply guys

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 am
MMT 1000 Club

Try a different station. If you don't let it sit, ethanol or ethanol free isn't as big a deal. Just keep an eye on your fuel hose just to make sure it's holding up to the ethanol. The ethanol isn't hurting your engine, it's just not good on some types of fuel hose. I just switched to an automotive type to see how it does. Make sure it's a high traffic gas station.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 am
MMT Member

Thanks Russ

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 am
MMT F.E.

Ethanol may contribute to corrosion of fuel tanks and other fuel system components at a rapid rate. It is very important to pour in a fuel additive that guards against corrosion every time you fill the tank; this is especially true with small engines since many still use aluminium parts which corrode more quickly resulting in oxides that look like white rust.
Ethanol-blended fuels left untreated can start “phasing.” Phase separation is when ethanol in the fuel absorbs too much water, and separates from gasoline by dropping to the bottom of the tank.
Ethanol attracts water. When the two get together, they create the perfect environment to grow a type of bacteria called acetobacter. The acetobacter excrete acetic acid. And acetic acid is very corrosive. If you’re refilling your gas tank every week or two, acetobacter don’t have time to grow a sufficient size colony to damage metal parts in your fuel system. But if your fuel sits for longer periods of time these microorganisms continue to multiply until your gas tank contains damaging levels of acetic acid.
Just putting that out there. You may never have issues with ethanol in gas, but ethanol-fighting gas stabilizers and/or use of non-ethanol contaminated fuel is not a bad idea.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am
MMT 1000 Club

Do you recommend the marine grade stabil as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 am
MMT F.E.

Not using any one in particular, Lucas or Sta-bil is what I have been buying. Thinking of trying Star Tron. I only use Non-ethanol in my yard equipment(mostly) and Boats(always) but do add fuel treatment. Rarely does any of them set up for more than 3 weeks.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

I only ask because i've ALWAYS used blue marine stabil. I've yet to have any trouble, but what just curious what type of startron so I could look up the specs on it for an option. Boatdr. told me years ago to add blue marine stabil every time I got fuel. But i've got a fuel/water separator as well. I've checked the filter but it never has water in it? Good thing I guess. I've always used ethanol premium 93 octane.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am
MMT 1000 Club

Smoke

http://www.starbrite.com/category/marine

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm
MMT Member

I just bought a fuel water separator and now my bulb won't stay hard. I'm
Not getting gas to my motor anymore. I followed the in and out arrows on this thing.. help?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:46 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Air leak

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm
MMT Member

Fixed it with a little bit of teflon at the base of the bolts that go into the separator. Didn't wanna get too close and risk having some break off and get into my gas line. Thanks for the reply. That was it. Just ran 25.7 in a stock prodrive with 3 people and fishing gear. Appreciate it

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]