It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Trouble shooting new engine issues 
MMT F.E.

Post Trouble shooting new engine issues
Gents,

I recently installed a brand new vanguard 35 on my frame. I'm running a stock 3 blade prop and an 1854 gator tail extreme, with 2 guys (185lbs each), nothing else.

With the motor in the middle hole, I'm capped out at 3400ish rpms and 21 mph, and with the top hole I'm getting 4050rpms and 19mph. Messed with all the trim settings and weight distribution and that's the best I'm getting.

I'm trying to work through why I'm getting such slow speeds and want to know opinions.

My idle RPMS are low, so I'm going to bump them up a hair (currently around 950rpms), and I did tighten the governor screw hair from stock (which got the speeds posted above).

Is the 3 blade just that over pitched for a stock motor?

Should I tighten the governor screw even more?

What else should I look at adjusting on this motor to get it to more normal stock speeds?

Should I check any thing else to see if there is a mechanical issue? (clutch or something)

My throttle may be a hair loose but I would still think it's not that far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:48 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Trouble shooting new engine issues
Run the governor screw down until the coils catch it... then go run it. I'd be willing to bet you're against the governor in the water. The coils will shut you down at 4750. That's plenty safe. Also make double sure the throttle is getting your carb wide open when you want it to. Cable might need adjustment.

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:54 am
MMT F.E.

Post Trouble shooting new engine issues
That's what I was starting to think but wasn't sure if cranking the governor screw down that much would hurt it. I'll give that a try and get the boat out in a few days to see how that effects it. I've got a spare worn 2 blade prop as well I might try to play with as well. I don't think the prop is the biggest factor but I still want to see the change.

Also mine didn't come with the governor spring shown here. I don't think that would effect this problem, but just mentioning it.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:56 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Trouble shooting new engine issues
Ended up changing props and maxing out governor screw and running great

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]