It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 4400 MB Black Death 
MMT Pro Member

Post 4400 MB Black Death
I started my motor up this morning (out of the water) just to run it since it's been about 2 weeks. When I put it in gear for a couple of seconds water started spraying out of the air vent where the drive belt is. So I turned it off, unplugged the drain plug on the bottom of the motor and about a 1/4 cup of fresh rain water came out (since I run in brackish water I tasted it,,, it was fresh) I have a cover for this motor,, it doesn't cover the drive belt case but it does cover the main motor. Any suggestions to this weird ass problem?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 am
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 4400 MB Black Death
There is a rubber gasket between the motor and the motion base. It may be damaged and letting water in. Run a hose on it and see if you get water in the housing. Or remove the cover and shine a flashlight around the back of the housing and see if you see light showing. Something simple i'm sure.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 am
MMT Pro Member

Rgr,,, will do... thanks. If the gasket is bad, any reason not to use RTV?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:12 am
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:54 am
MMT Pro Member

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

You'll need to pull clutch cover off to see them. Its where the motion base mounts to the block. There are slots machined into the belt housing to allow the the housing to move up or down to tighten or loosen the belt.

I think .005 is a bit tight. I have roller rockers, cam and heads and set mine @ .006-.007. I realize its only .001 difference but, its probably closer to .002 depending on your feel. Every motor is different. Yesterday had mine out for several hours and it barely made it one revolution and it fired right up every time. Sometimes it rolls over for a few seconds and longer when its cold af outside. Don't over think it, its still a lawn mower engine. ;)

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:30 am
MMT Pro Member

RGR that, thanks for the advice..... I really appreciate it like always....

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 pm
Profile YIM
MMT Pro Member

SMOKE....... I just wanted to thank you for your advice. You were correct on BOTH cases.... I took the case off and sure enough,,, after setting the tension on my drive belt at the 10hr. mark,,, I forgot to re-seal the bolts back there...... that was the leak,,,,
as for the valves... I set them to a snug .006 and she starts up with little to no hesitation at all... Thanks brother.... Really!!!!!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:37 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]