It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 2013 prodrive starts on one cylinder 
MMT Pro Member

Post 2013 prodrive starts on one cylinder
Hi.. I'm new on here but have been looking on here for years. Thanks for all the info so far. My question is on a 2013 prodrive with the ecotron efi. It has prodrive e5 but the heads are illiowa marine. Runs great when gets warm but when first cranking it up it only runs on one cylinder for a few seconds and then the other side kicks in. Seem like it's worse when below 40 degrees.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: 2013 prodrive starts on one cylinder
Did this start after swapping heads? A few things come to mind. Verify valve adjustments. Possible leaking injector, flooding one hole when its turned off then having to clear the hole when starting. If it just started when u swapped heads the tune might be a little light on fuel when starting. They are tuned pretty lean at idle anyway, enough to lean lope pretty good on some engines even with stock cams. As soon as you tap the throttle and it has a little load in the map its covered though. Im still thinkin :D

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am
MMT Pro Member

It did start after mods. I have adjusted valves. They were very tight. I set them to .005 Rechecked after several hours of running. You might be on to something with the injector. I noticed the last oil change that the oil seemed to smell a lot like gas was in it. I was told the ecu was reprogrammed to a performance tune but I'm not sure. The back of the ecu says (stock/E2). It turns over good and starts good but just take about 5 seconds for the other to kick in. And weired how it's harder to start when cold. I don't remember for sure but the heads are decked 30 or 35, port and polished. I believe stainless valves and bigger valves. I wonder if it might be simple as a tune issue causing it to run to lean. Also has brand new starting battery.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 am
MMT Sponsor

Hmmm. An e5 motor is a cammed motor . If its on an e2 tune it should make it rich at idle. Some variables hiding there. Since you smelled gas i would be checking injectors for "the drip" first then consider a tune issue

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 am
MMT Pro Member

Ok. I will pull the injectors and see if they are dripping. It does have a cam but I don't know the specs. Just what ever prodrive was using. Do I need to get replacement orings for the injectors. Surely I can find orings Napa.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 am
MMT Sponsor

You would think u can the orings at napa or you can get some from ecotrons or pull intake instead and then use new briggs intake gaskets

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:55 am
MMT Pro Member

Just an update. Took everything apart. #1 injector had a residue around it. It really wasn't wet but it was definitely leaking very small amounts of gas. Was prolly drying most of it up before it could drop down the motor. Do you know of any injector that would interchange with these. A new one from prodrive is $105 and ecotron really doesn't want to deal with me since I didn't buy the kit directly from the. Of course the injector is a Chinese brand. Part# is DH020M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

Just wanted let everyone what the problem was. I took the boat to Paul at Phowler boats. Which is where I bought the boat and motor. He hooked up his laptop and found the block temp sensor was reading 302 degrees all the time making the motor think it was already warmed up. Changed it out and man what a difference it made. Started a whole lot better.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 am
MMT Pro Member

How much was the replacement sensor? Mine is having similar symptoms.

"They cant put anything on the internet that isn't true."
"Where'd you hear that?"
"The internet"

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 am
MMT Pro Member

I'm not sure. I do remember him saying it was a cheep part. Paul had one on an old wiring harness. Just cut it off and put it on mine. It would have been impossible to know that was the problem without hooking his laptop up. I had been chasing it for about a year. That's the only downfall to all this electronic stuff. Don't know where your located but give him a call at Phowler boats. Good folks to deal with and will shoot you straight.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]