It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Honest questions about working on these motors 
MMT Pro Member

Post Honest questions about working on these motors
Hey guys, I have two questions that I have been trying to find in older posts about but have been unsuccessful. 1) should a person who don't know anything about working on these motors buy one? 2) are there any videos or written instructions about these motors to fix problems that go wrong or should you just take it to the shop to have it fixed? Just trying to find out how everyone started out obtaining their knowledge about knowing how to fix or do things other than common maintenance when they did not in the beginning unless you guys are all mechanics then that would make sense. Or unless you guys just said the hell with it and did some trial and error. Trying to educate myself and do my research through these old posts, so please take it easy on me. Thanks for any input.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Honest questions about working on these motors
Best way to learn is to go ahead and work on the motor and drive yourself. There is always some one who can help you if you can't figure something out. Having enough metric tools to fit the fasteners helps also. Briggs sells a pretty good service manual to follow. For the motor. The drives at least on MBs show a pretty good parts break down. I've owned and worked on surface drives since 2003, and have done everything possible to them, plus somethings MB said couldn't be done. If you can read thru some of the BS on MMT there are some pretty good guys on there who can help you. There are several MB pro staffers on MMT that I know can answer any question you have.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

There are all sorts. Some of us didn't mind turning a wrench, had some knowledge, got the right help from the right people and now can do most troubleshooting for ourselves. Some can check their valve lash and change their oil, but that's about it. Some take theirs to a shop. This forum has a lot of info (everything you'll need to know), you just have to learn how to use Google and mudmotor talk to search. Sometimes you have to read a lot of useless posts to get to the important post, and figure out who's giving bad advice (there's a decent amount of that here, too).

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

X2 ^^^ lots of information. But..... remember, it's just a damn lawnmower engine.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Honest questions about working on these motors
I do about the same amount of maintenance on my mud motor as my old outboards. Thing I like about them is they are simple so once you figure out how the motor works and how the transmission works, there's not much else to them.

There are quite a few good guys on here who can lend a hand or at least talk you through most anything over the phone. Ask me how I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

There really is not much too them . If you've at least a little common sense and are able to work with your hands , you should be fine. Like others have added a lot of good useful information on this forum.

H finn

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:48 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks for the input guys. I hoped I was over thinking them as a whole. I have read a lot of posts on here of you guys posting what you think is wrong with someone's rig and I find myself a lot of times thinking what the hell is that and how would I even go about fixing it. Thanks for the advice guys look forward to being more active on here than just a by standard.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:28 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Making the effort to learn will get you in business in no time. They aren't difficult, just aggravating. If you don't mind doing it, you'll be a LOT better off when it breaks on the water, and even stock engines do that regularly. Most of the time from lack of maintenance, but sometimes just due to design or conditions we run them in or mods and stress we put on them.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]