It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Need Some Advice 
MMT Member

Post Need Some Advice
I posted a week or so ago asking about a few different boats I was looking to buy. But, I realized i was jumping the gun. I have never owned a mud boat. So I figure I should start from square one and ask some people who know about it.

First I figure Ill give my situation and expectations:
1.) I hunt an area that can have lots of downed logs in areas, just under the surface
2.) The main river areas are a sand/mud mix, sometimes mostly sand. Marshes are mud with lots of beaver dams that Id like to be able to jump.
3.) I would like to be able to go atleast 18-19 with a full load. That is generally 2 people and 80 decoys.
4.) would like a boat that is 17 or 18 foot
5.) I would like the boat, motor, trailer, and acc. to be under or around 18,000.

So with these these things in mind. What do you guys think would be a good route to go? Im tossing around different brands, longtail or surface drive, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Need Some Advice
17x48-54 or 18x48-54 with a big block surface drive.

Go test out different brands you are interested in.

Is reverse/neutral a must?
That will also narrow it down.

Once you figure out the motor you want, get a boat with 3/16 bottom. Custom or factory. your choice.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Running stumps a 3/16 bottom is a must with extra stringers if possible. The reverse is nice, but I have done without it since 05 and just got it this summer. I will tell you, it doesn't back up like my outboards did in reverse, no where near that good. But it does make picking up decoys a bit easier and I grab my punt pole less often if that makes a difference. I have backed out of some shit that I got into by taking a cut with no exit and basically no place to turn around. I was surprised and didn't have to get out to pull it around.

I would go with the largest boat you can fit into where you are hunting, for nothing more than room to carry shit and better in bigger water should you need to travel across it.

For the speeds you are looking for a sd would be a better choice. Not sure you'll get 18-19 mph loaded with a lt, unless it was a modded 35. Plus you will have to most likely be standing up to run the lt. I modded my sd for load carrying not speed, but she will push an 1854 loaded down ( 6 dozen weighted keel duck decoys, 2 dozen weighted keel goose blocks all hunting gear for 3 guys late season and 2 black dogs) around 25-27 mph. It'll hit 31+ mph with a light load (beer, cooler, two guys and fishing gear)

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 am
MMT Pro Member

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:32 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]