It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Need Help - PD won't crank all the time 
MMT Pro Member

Post Need Help - PD won't crank all the time
Sometimes it cranks and fires right up, but there are times where it just won't turn over.

Been dicking with this problem for many hours, season opener is this weekend and I have to get it fixed.

I've replaced: starter and solenoid, battery, all battery cables (1 GA wire) and connections (including grounds), all motor wiring, key switch, clutch switch.

When it fails to turn over, it seems to depend on what part of the cycle it sits on. This is even with the plugs removed. I've turned it over by hand, seems a little stiff but not bad. If it fails to turn over, I can reposition the pistons in a different part of the cycle and the "running start" seems to be enough to get it to go.

Compression is about 175 each side. I checked the valve gap and it was a few thousands off, readjusted all 4 to .005.

There should be plenty of current getting to the starter. The new starter I bought is a "Briggs & Stratton Vanguard VTwin 2007 Model 807383 809054 845760". Seems like it just doesn't have enough power to turn the motor

You guys have been a big help in the past, I'm hoping maybe you can throw some ideas my way.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:03 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Need Help - PD won't crank all the time
Man I just went through this with mine. Rewired the whole thing from control box to everything. I'm at 180 psi in each. What I found was my battery was shot, but I see you changed that. My battery would charge up and show fully charged on my charger and would work fine sometimes and siometimes it didn't. Bought a new battery and now it spins like a dremel.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 am
MMT F.E.

Next time it does not turn over, try pulling yellow wire on starter(solenoid wire) check voltage with key in start position and/or jump 12v from battery hot wire on solenoid to where the yellow wire hooks up. If you jump it and it works then not the starter.

BTW is this tiller or console?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:49 am
MMT Addict

Like he said. Check voltage, if it’s there I’d look hard into the grounds. I know you’ve replaced them but that’s what it sounds like to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am
MMT Elite Member

Yellow wire on the starter.... I add a relay and use the yellow wire to trigger the relay and the relay powers the solenoid.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 am
MMT Pro Member

Thanks, guys. I know the voltage is getting to the solenoid, but I'm concerned that either the key switch or clutch switch (although they're new) might be the problem.

I find it hard to believe it's a ground issue, though I agree it sounds like a possible cause. My hot and ground runs from the battery at the front of the boat thru 20 ft of 1 GA wire to a terminal block on the transom. New, soldered copper terminals all around. From there 5 ft of 1 GA wire directly to the motor. Ground runs to a bolt on the front of the motor, near the starter. All ground connections are tied to this single ground point, including a short thick cable tying this point to the starter mounting bolt (belt and suspenders, I know, but I'm desperate). Hot wire goes directly from the terminal block to the starter solenoid. I've got anti-corrosion jelly at every connection.

This is a tiller steer motor.

I think I'm gonna try the solenoid engagement wire directly from the battery, if it works maybe I'll run a circuit breaker wired directly this weekend!

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:06 am
MMT Pro Member

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71408

With that kinda luck, get one of these. Will eventually save you!

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:02 pm
MMT Addict

Glad you got it figured out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:49 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:57 am