It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:37 pm




Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Any 40's out there?? 
Author Message
Online
MMT 1000 Club

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 pm
Posts: 4162
Location: West Monroe, LA
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Or just don't spin them at 5k because they can do it.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor


Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm
Profile
MMT Addict

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 am
Posts: 596
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Russ wrote:
Or just don't spin them at 5k because they can do it.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Lame.....

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:15 pm
Profile
MMT Addict

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Raceland, Louisiana
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
:lol:

_________________
1971 Ouchita 1440 riveted with custom 23hp go devil LT
18x48 custom duck skiff with 40 GTR XD with some extras (unbaffled voodoo, k&n intake, baggy worked prop, cut skeg, gatorglide G2)


Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm
Posts: 5508
Location: Trinity Bay - Texas
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
MaXXis85 wrote:
Gigafowl wrote:
Gigafowl wrote:

I'm not knocking any builders - just pointing out that Briggs is offering a hell of a value for only
$ 500.00 with a hell of a warranty too !!!


Three Years Warraty !

No matter how you run your rig !

For only $500.00 more than the 37 EFI !

Impressive !

All these years you are still a liberal mudmotor'er.





I'd call myself conservative....

A liberal would charge $15.00 per hour - "working with someone" - at
a motor detention center --- :roll:

_________________
Eat - Sleep - Hunt ! ! !

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."


Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile
Online
MMT F.E.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm
Posts: 837
Location: SW LA
Post Any 40's out there??
Ducaholic wrote:
fishaholic82 wrote:
My current motor ran for 5 years with a stage 1 build with no problems besides a couple case gasket leaks. The builder decided to delete the gasket at no cost to me. I decided to have more work done to my engine because I wanted more power and its 5 years old and I figured it would be a good idea to have it gone through completely and also do some preventive maintenance. I now have a stage 2 build and guess what, the builder assured me that if I have any problems he will make it right. These builders don't make money if they don't stand behind their products or services. Plus a strong reliable motor that still hulls ass with a hunting load will make them more business than a motor that is broken. Briggs offers a warranty because they can afford it and when a stock motor breaks during duck season you better hope you have a Briggs warranty center that doesn't have a waiting list a mile long like most of them. Most engine builders will do everything they can to get their customers back on the water as quick as they can, especially during hunting season.
I'll take my risk with a built carb motor any day of the week.




Carb and heads you are good to go. Anymore than that you either have to work on them yourself or have deep pockets. Just the way it is.
and cam... smiley face


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Tarkington, TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Ducaholic wrote:
fishaholic82 wrote:
My current motor ran for 5 years with a stage 1 build with no problems besides a couple case gasket leaks. The builder decided to delete the gasket at no cost to me. I decided to have more work done to my engine because I wanted more power and its 5 years old and I figured it would be a good idea to have it gone through completely and also do some preventive maintenance. I now have a stage 2 build and guess what, the builder assured me that if I have any problems he will make it right. These builders don't make money if they don't stand behind their products or services. Plus a strong reliable motor that still hulls ass with a hunting load will make them more business than a motor that is broken. Briggs offers a warranty because they can afford it and when a stock motor breaks during duck season you better hope you have a Briggs warranty center that doesn't have a waiting list a mile long like most of them. Most engine builders will do everything they can to get their customers back on the water as quick as they can, especially during hunting season.
I'll take my risk with a built carb motor any day of the week.




Carb and heads you are good to go. Anymore than that you either have to work on them yourself or have deep pockets. Just the way it is.

Not when the proper care is taken and the carb is properly tuned. Valve train issue is the biggest problem I see. So many guys don't adjust stem length for decked heads and stock length pushrods. Not many have the proper spring pressure for the camshaft choice. I am confident in my builds that they will be rock solid reliable. I take the extra steps a lot leave out.

_________________
Bayou Surface Drive
337-351-0362
Tarkington, TX 77327


Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 am
Profile
MMT F.E.

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Avoyelles Parish
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
MaXXis85 wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
fishaholic82 wrote:
My current motor ran for 5 years with a stage 1 build with no problems besides a couple case gasket leaks. The builder decided to delete the gasket at no cost to me. I decided to have more work done to my engine because I wanted more power and its 5 years old and I figured it would be a good idea to have it gone through completely and also do some preventive maintenance. I now have a stage 2 build and guess what, the builder assured me that if I have any problems he will make it right. These builders don't make money if they don't stand behind their products or services. Plus a strong reliable motor that still hulls ass with a hunting load will make them more business than a motor that is broken. Briggs offers a warranty because they can afford it and when a stock motor breaks during duck season you better hope you have a Briggs warranty center that doesn't have a waiting list a mile long like most of them. Most engine builders will do everything they can to get their customers back on the water as quick as they can, especially during hunting season.
I'll take my risk with a built carb motor any day of the week.




Carb and heads you are good to go. Anymore than that you either have to work on them yourself or have deep pockets. Just the way it is.

Not when the proper care is taken and the carb is properly tuned. Valve train issue is the biggest problem I see. So many guys don't adjust stem length for decked heads and stock length pushrods. Not many have the proper spring pressure for the camshaft choice. I am confident in my builds that they will be rock solid reliable. I take the extra steps a lot leave out.



BS! If you are so confident in your engine builds put a warranty on them.

_________________
18X44 Geaux Custon Powered By MB 4500 BD


Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 am
Profile
Online
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 3978
Location: Cut Off, La.
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Ducaholic wrote:
MaXXis85 wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
fishaholic82 wrote:
My current motor ran for 5 years with a stage 1 build with no problems besides a couple case gasket leaks. The builder decided to delete the gasket at no cost to me. I decided to have more work done to my engine because I wanted more power and its 5 years old and I figured it would be a good idea to have it gone through completely and also do some preventive maintenance. I now have a stage 2 build and guess what, the builder assured me that if I have any problems he will make it right. These builders don't make money if they don't stand behind their products or services. Plus a strong reliable motor that still hulls ass with a hunting load will make them more business than a motor that is broken. Briggs offers a warranty because they can afford it and when a stock motor breaks during duck season you better hope you have a Briggs warranty center that doesn't have a waiting list a mile long like most of them. Most engine builders will do everything they can to get their customers back on the water as quick as they can, especially during hunting season.
I'll take my risk with a built carb motor any day of the week.




Carb and heads you are good to go. Anymore than that you either have to work on them yourself or have deep pockets. Just the way it is.

Not when the proper care is taken and the carb is properly tuned. Valve train issue is the biggest problem I see. So many guys don't adjust stem length for decked heads and stock length pushrods. Not many have the proper spring pressure for the camshaft choice. I am confident in my builds that they will be rock solid reliable. I take the extra steps a lot leave out.



BS! If you are so confident in your engine builds put a warranty on them.



He pretty much just stated that he will back up the work he does on motors. What more do you want?
Maybe you've got terrible luck with modded motors.
Or maybe you're one of them that run them WTFO all the time?

_________________
dead animal wrote:
Giga, u need a fukin throat punch. if u want flotation, good for u, but don't ever, for 1 second of your miserable life, think u can tell me what to do.

whatever


Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 am
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Tarkington, TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Ducaholic wrote:
MaXXis85 wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
fishaholic82 wrote:
My current motor ran for 5 years with a stage 1 build with no problems besides a couple case gasket leaks. The builder decided to delete the gasket at no cost to me. I decided to have more work done to my engine because I wanted more power and its 5 years old and I figured it would be a good idea to have it gone through completely and also do some preventive maintenance. I now have a stage 2 build and guess what, the builder assured me that if I have any problems he will make it right. These builders don't make money if they don't stand behind their products or services. Plus a strong reliable motor that still hulls ass with a hunting load will make them more business than a motor that is broken. Briggs offers a warranty because they can afford it and when a stock motor breaks during duck season you better hope you have a Briggs warranty center that doesn't have a waiting list a mile long like most of them. Most engine builders will do everything they can to get their customers back on the water as quick as they can, especially during hunting season.
I'll take my risk with a built carb motor any day of the week.




Carb and heads you are good to go. Anymore than that you either have to work on them yourself or have deep pockets. Just the way it is.

Not when the proper care is taken and the carb is properly tuned. Valve train issue is the biggest problem I see. So many guys don't adjust stem length for decked heads and stock length pushrods. Not many have the proper spring pressure for the camshaft choice. I am confident in my builds that they will be rock solid reliable. I take the extra steps a lot leave out.



BS! If you are so confident in your engine builds put a warranty on them.

Then I will raise my prices on all my parts and labor just like all the other guys who offer warranty. Belive me, the end use pays for warranty... Ole tough guy. If you want a warranty go to BPS, so you can royally get fucked LOL

_________________
Bayou Surface Drive
337-351-0362
Tarkington, TX 77327


Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 am
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Tarkington, TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
brycecheramie wrote:
He pretty much just stated that he will back up the work he does on motors. What more do you want?
Maybe you've got terrible luck with modded motors.
Or maybe you're one of them that run them WTFO all the time?

That's what they want, all responsibility on the builder. Heck no man. everything has limitations. A fully built motor will last, But not everyone wants to pay 5k to have it done....

Ill take care of my customers in the event I did something wrong..

_________________
Bayou Surface Drive
337-351-0362
Tarkington, TX 77327


Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am
Profile
MMT F.E.

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Avoyelles Parish
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
MaXXis85 wrote:
brycecheramie wrote:
He pretty much just stated that he will back up the work he does on motors. What more do you want?
Maybe you've got terrible luck with modded motors.
Or maybe you're one of them that run them WTFO all the time?

That's what they want, all responsibility on the builder. Heck no man. everything has limitations. A fully built motor will last, But not everyone wants to pay 5k to have it done....

Ill take care of my customers in the event I did something wrong..



My last comment. Who determines if you did something wrong? You? Look I'm sure you build fine motors and your attention to detail is excellent as you clearly know what they hell you are talking about but without a signed written warranty everything is at your discretion. If I'm spending that much money on a motor I would want some assurance other than a handshake and man if I did something wrong I'll fix it. Even if it's just 1 year which I think is what you get from MB for instance.

Good luck to you and your business interest.

_________________
18X44 Geaux Custon Powered By MB 4500 BD


Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 am
Profile
MMT Sponsor

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:16 pm
Posts: 1815
Location: Gladewater TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
All builders and even Briggs only offers warranties at their discretion. If you buy a brand new ford or mopar performance engine what warranty do you get? No warranty on their performance stuff. A mans handshake goes farther than most others piece of paper.


Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am
Profile
MMT F.E.

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Avoyelles Parish
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Will C wrote:
All builders and even Briggs only offers warranties at their discretion. If you buy a brand new ford or mopar performance engine what warranty do you get? No warranty on their performance stuff. A mans handshake goes farther than most others piece of paper.



Purely from a legal perspective you don't have a leg to stand on without a written warranty.

_________________
18X44 Geaux Custon Powered By MB 4500 BD


Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am
Profile
MMT Addict

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 am
Posts: 596
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Ducaholic wrote:
Will C wrote:
All builders and even Briggs only offers warranties at their discretion. If you buy a brand new ford or mopar performance engine what warranty do you get? No warranty on their performance stuff. A mans handshake goes farther than most others piece of paper.



Purely from a legal perspective you don't have a leg to stand on without a written warranty.


It's not like the contract you have from briggs is worth anything more than the paper it's written on either. It would cost more to litigate that breach of contract than it would ever cost to do the repair.

They don't do warranty work because of the contract, but rather because they know the impact to their cost if they leave bad product and unhappy customers out there.

The difference comes down to the fact that marcus has proven to help his customers out when there are issues, but mudbuddy and others have not (despite the warranty). I guarantee mudbuddy would still have the same piss poor customer service they had if it weren't affecting their bottom line via customer reviews driving away future sales. They don't care about he contract, and they know full well it is not in your benefit to litigate it. They do recognize though you are gullible enough to fall for that sales pitch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Tarkington, TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Will C wrote:
All builders and even Briggs only offers warranties at their discretion. If you buy a brand new ford or mopar performance engine what warranty do you get? No warranty on their performance stuff. A mans handshake goes farther than most others piece of paper.

I have a good reputation on this site, FB, and in person. I do this for the pure fun of building engines and making side money. My word is my word.

I appreciate the words of encouragement, But I wont have my hands tied to some performance work from guys who are looking for a piece of paper stating they can tear it up free of charge.
I can build a pretty stout motor that can turn 5500-6000 RPM. That is not something that any builder will just let anyone have, as there is no rev limiter, we are still at the mercy of a Briggs crankshaft, and also a briggs block.

_________________
Bayou Surface Drive
337-351-0362
Tarkington, TX 77327


Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Profile
MMT Member

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am
Posts: 7
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
MaXXis85 wrote:
Will C wrote:
All builders and even Briggs only offers warranties at their discretion. If you buy a brand new ford or mopar performance engine what warranty do you get? No warranty on their performance stuff. A mans handshake goes farther than most others piece of paper.

I have a good reputation on this site, FB, and in person. I do this for the pure fun of building engines and making side money. My word is my word.

I appreciate the words of encouragement, But I wont have my hands tied to some performance work from guys who are looking for a piece of paper stating they can tear it up free of charge.
I can build a pretty stout motor that can turn 5500-6000 RPM. That is not something that any builder will just let anyone have, as there is no rev limiter, we are still at the mercy of a Briggs crankshaft, and also a briggs block.

Now that the pissing match is hopefully over, what kind of speeds do you think different stages on a 40 will provide?


Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm
Profile
Online
MMT 1000 Club

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 pm
Posts: 4162
Location: West Monroe, LA
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Too many variables. Boat size (and builder, because an uncle j 1854 and a gatortail 1854 run different speeds), load, weight distribution, prop, shallow water or deep.....



#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor


Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Profile
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:23 am
Posts: 6107
Location: Tarkington, TX
Post Re: Any 40's out there??
Russ wrote:
Too many variables. Boat size (and builder, because an uncle j 1854 and a gatortail 1854 run different speeds), load, weight distribution, prop, shallow water or deep.....



#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

bingo. the hull and propeller has more to do with speed than the engine. The same engine will perform very differently on different hulls

_________________
Bayou Surface Drive
337-351-0362
Tarkington, TX 77327


Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3rd Coast Killer, brycecheramie, Estel1m, Google [Bot] and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: