It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bilit CAM/and what? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Bilit CAM/and what?
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Billet Cam for my 4400 HDR. Have a few questions for my fellow gearheads...

1) should I even bother getting a set of roller rockers as well?

2) Do I need to get diff. rocker springs?

3) should I get better pushrods that are on it?

Thanks in advance....

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Bilit CAM/and what?
Up to you, talk to the guy that's supplying your cam. Probably not, since they increase total lift, and your cam probably doesn't account for that, so you'd need to shorten the valve stems to make up for that.

Yes, or shim those stock springs.

Some people do. I prefer to run stock pushrods. It's a cheaper replacement, and I've seen them bend and no other issues. With the thicker pushrods, it's quite likely something else would've broke or bent, cause worse issues.

Those are my opinions to your questions.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

Here is my advice,
When retaining stock length pushrods with either roller rockers or stock rockers, you need to adjust stem tip length. that all depends on decking amount and rocker ratio.

When you get into higher ratio rockers you then have to worry about retainer clearance to the stem seal/valve guide.

Second of all you need GOOD spring pressure for any more aggressive camshaft than the stock one. Hell a new pink spring is only 18# of seat pressure. Add run time its about 15# It was a misnomer back in the day too much ppressure will cause more issues like bent pushrods, worn camshaft lobes, and other vale train failures. Well now we have Tool Steel camshafts so they wont wear out like a cast camshaft will when seeing higher spring pressure.

Too low of spring pressure you will see less RPM gain because the valves will float and become uncontrollable so cylinder pressure falls and your maxed out power wise. Another issue is pushrods will start coming out the cups from laxk of valve stability. The best way to put it is to drive your truck without shocks and with shocks. You can drive faster and more controlled with good shocks vs bad/no shocks.

It baffles me as so many people think headwork is only port, polish, and decking. Most neglect the clearance and valve job. The valve job is what makes this thing shine. A good port shape and shitty valve job is just as bad as a stock set of heads.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 am
MMT Pro Member

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:26 pm
Profile YIM
MMT Pro Member

OK guys,,, like I stated before,, never done this... So I'm reading everything I can find and watching videos... The only thing that had me scratching my head is when I read, "If you have a cam operated fuel pump do this....... I have a 2017 HDR with the carb... is my fuel pump cam operated? I'm getting ready to:

(Everything will be bought at BPS)
replace the cam (Billet)
add roller rockers (should I upgrade the springs and if so to what)
do a valve job (just lap the valves)
new gaskets of course

Am I correct by saying it looks like the biggest pain in the ass is just getting everything off to get the Sop cover??? After that, it seems straight forward???

Any and all tips before I even touch this job would be greatly appreciated... NEVER done this...

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

If the fuel pump is under the carb bolted to the top of the block: mechanical fuel pump (cam operated). If it's got a tube running to the intake and is mounted on the starter side head (cylinder 1), then it's a vacuum pump.

I'm not touching the rest of your plans. Someone else will be along shortly, I'm sure. Or you can find it all with some searching of the forum. I know it's all been posted a few times, just might take some searching using Google with some key words followed by mmt.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:04 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]