It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 35 vanguard Non CDI rebuild 
MMT Member

Post 35 vanguard Non CDI rebuild
Looking of some advice or thoughts from guys around here. I currently run a 2009 Mudbuddy HD 35 Vanguard. In 2010 I put a bps cam, heavy push rods and shimmed valves, 42mm Mikuni and the Crossover exhaust with the 4500 RPM rev limiter. Gearing is stock 35 MB gearing of 38 Top and 50 Bottom. Ran it like that to this day and it has performed well enough for my needs. Biggest issue is I cant run the prop on the top of the water much or I get into the rev limiter.

Now I am looking to do a rebuild on this engine this winter. I'm looking at putting in the BPS piston and rod set, roller rockers and having the heads re-cut with larger valves and stiffer springs put in rather than the shims. NOT planning on having the heads shaved down as I've heard there have been some issues with these blocks not liking the high compression when combined with the piston and rod kit. Engine reliability is a high priority for me.

My question for you guys, I am wondering what to do with the gearing. I want to lower the gear ratio and keep the motor under 4500 RPM at WOT. (Right now I only run 1/2 throttle or I'm into the rev limiter.) Is it worth putting headwork, BPS pistons, etc to keep the RPM under 4500 with a gearing change or would I need to move up to the 5200 RPM rev limiter and gear accordingly for the mods to be of any benefit? Really don't want to put that many RPM on this motor.

Thanks

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 35 vanguard Non CDI rebuild
My engine was running 36/48 gears (1.33:1) and with prop work would jump out of the hole with a load and still run 30 with 3 and gear. I never spun it past 4600. It's at 215 compression right now, roughly same build you're talking about. I didn't use bps parts. Got mine from PVT.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Btw, I don't use the roller rockers. I have stock rockers and pushrods.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the info Russ. Appreciate your help. Still hoping I can get a few more good guys to offer some advice here as well.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]