It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Gator tail 25BB RPM’s 
MMT Member

Post Gator tail 25BB RPM’s
Just recently purchased a 1748 GT with the vanguard 25BB and was wondering what others were running RPM wise. With the stock prop I was running just around 3200 rpms and pushing around 25 mph solo. Bought a big blade prop for her and was only pushing 2950-3000 and running 21-22 with two people and a light load. Does this seem to be typical for this motor or should I bump up the rpms to get more out of her? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Gator tail 25BB RPM’s
The speeds sound bout right but rpms sound low

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am
MMT Member

Any idea on what a reasonable RPM range would be? It’s a new motor (less than 20 hours on her) so don’t want to go hog wild with her but don’t feel Iike she’s even running to her true potential. Not looking for a speed demon but would like to get a little more out of her without losing her reliability.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm
MMT Member

Stock?

I'll hopefully have some numbers on a 25BB Delta level 2-3ish (resembles stock) after this weekend. Had a bad carb replaced under warranty, but need to run the boat. Just wasn't providing enough fuel. Boat is an Uncle J 18x48 wide open.

I can can tell you on my bad carb I could only turn it 3,400 rpm @ 20mph max on the stock prop with a solo load. With two lighter than average women added to the load 3,000 rpm @ 12 mph.

With a 9" prop I could only spin it 3,500 rpm @ 17 mph.

They're telling me with the good carb they could turn it 4,600 rpm in gear in the water so I'm excited to see what it can do. Delta was helping me out on the phone with some tweaks and then I wanted to see if Baggy thought some prop work would help. After I gave Baggy my numbers, he insisted I go back to Delta. They needed it in the shop. Everyone at Delta and Baggy were helpful.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm
MMT Member

what is your governor set at?

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:59 pm
MMT Member

I have not checked where the governor is set at. As of right now all I can say is that it’s set at where GT set it at. Id be lying if I said I knew. I’m sure I can get more out of her by playing with the governor but don’t want to set it to high since it’s a brand new motor.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm
MMT Member

with the good carb on I was running 25-26 mph @ 4,000 - 4,200 rpm in the ICW. Delta heads, cam, and 35 hp stock carb on a 25 hp BB GTR. Stock 11x10 2 blade prop with no work.

Uncle J 18x48 with 1 200lb man, 13 gallons of gas, 12' x 5' boat blind made of 3/4" EMT and fast grass, pirogue on a rack (probably acting like a damn wing), 2 dozen dekes, 6 pack of St Arnold Christmas Ale, chopped beef sammich, couple boxes of shells, and a shotgun. Wasn't WOT, but when I did open all the way I didn't pick up any more speed.

Maybe some prop work on the horizon now that I have some legit numbers to give Baggy.

A big sigh of relief though as I thought I had too heavy of a boat built based on the boat's previous performance with the bad carb. I was getting 18 mph sustained solo in shallower water with an empty boat. Now I get an easy sustained 25 mph in deep water and get on step to top speed in just a few seconds. Boat now feels like it should be able to tote more load and not lose much, but we'll have to see there.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:48 pm
MMT Member

Much better results than before! I'm waiting to hear back from GT about some carb adjustments i could try. Hoyt from GT did tell me that he believes my tach is not working properly because speeds seemed to be in the general ballpark. Hopefully i will hear back from them soon or someone could lead me in the right direction on carb adjustments. From what i have read the 25BB is essentially an old 35 so hopefully someone could lend me some tips on how to get better performance out of my motor.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]