It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Mudmotor on the coast? 
MMT Member

Post Mudmotor on the coast?
I have a 21’ RFL that is a little to big to take out during the duck season with tides falling. How do mud motors do on the coast? Obviously they don’t do very good in sand but I’m more talking how do they do with the mud on the coast. I hunt in Port o Connor, Texas if anybody is familiar with running mud boats down there would be much appreciated. Really want to pull the trigger on getting one for next season but want to make sure it’s the right fit for what I’m looking for it to do.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:39 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Mudmotor on the coast?
You need to take a moment and read up on where they originated...

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 am
MMT Pro Member

They do just fine. I've had my longtail out on the coast nearly every weekend here in NC

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:57 am
MMT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 am
MMT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 am
MMT 1000 Club

Plenty of people on this site have used them on all the coasts. You haven't read enough if you still feel the need to ask the question here.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am
MMT Member

I have read quite a bit but nothing to sell me and have never owned or been on mudboat. Obviously these boats are not cheap or I wouldn’t feel the need to ask. Just looking for a little input

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:18 am
MMT 1000 Club

My point is there are questions and videos on this site and YouTube of these things being used in a lot of conditions, to include your location, that show how they perform. I understand you asking the question has to do with your lack of direct exposure to them. There have been a lot of people on this site that are no longer here but their posts are ready for you to search and read. Look at the events section for the rides and the pictures people have posted. The info you seek is at your fingertips.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:53 am
MMT 1000 Club

I havent ran POC, but i have run west bay and Christmas a bunch.

Back marshes its great, big open bay it sucks.
If you are in mostly sand, get a Jet drive with jack plate, or an airboat.

You can burn a prop in minutes in the sand.

Kool-Aid Brigade

www.southernfowler.com

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 am
MMT Moderator

I ride around Galveston all the time. No issues there. I have not been in a mud boat down in Port O.

The biggest thing new owners need to understand is, it's not a sand motor. I'm glad you said that in your post. If you're going over hard packed sand in 2-3" of water you may want to get an air boat as there's no way you'll get across one without pushing or rolling your boat on PVC like the Egyptians did with the pyramids :lol:

My boat floats in about 5-6" of water and can run in 4" before dragging bottom and grinding to a stop especially on sand / hard bottom.

If you're riding mud flats there is no problem enjoy the mud motor.

I bought my original setup 10 years ago and have loved it every day. There is not one thing I would change. In fact I just upgraded to the new engine Gator-Tail released and have been impressed.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

If you opt for an air boat, you better be prepared to do mainanemce a lot, or have one long pocket book. They go anywhere, but are very very prone to constant maintenance.

As far as the mud boat, it's called a mud boat cause it goes in the mud...if the area you hunt is mostly sand, get a jet drive or be prepared to change props like your mom changes her draws lol

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 am
MMT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:51 pm
MMT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah I agree completely

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I've ran the rockport area a fair amount during hunting seasons( in various boats). In my experience a mudboat is probably the worst fit of the options. I found the few places I could get around and use the mudmotor that had soft bottoms also had sea grass.(if you tuned the area you know how heavily protected it is) You already have a larger outboard rig so I wont comment on that. But I do think overall can be utilized the most. The boats I ran in the most were aluminum center consoles with mild tunnels and V hulls, nothing special . Air boats can be great in the back water but most hinting requires crossing big open areas which most prefer to not do in a an airboat. Not to mention all the associated cos of owning/maintaining one. I ran in a few jets and they are to the sandy coastal marsh what a mudboat is to the muddy coastal marsh. They were the most versatile setup in my opinion for the environment. I ran in some smaller Jon boats that were tunnel with propped outboards that would run surprisingly skinny and handled the open water fairly well also.

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 am
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

I have hunted POC a few times this year in a mud boat in that particular area they are okay,dropping tide almost got me once in the lagoon.I can get 3 trips of a prop in POC then ship to Baggy for a rework.Airboats rule in POC but there are plenty of areas you can get to without to hunt.Where are you located?You can send me a PM and I will give you some more info I currently have 2 now and about to start a airboat build at the end of this year.Drive a couple before you purchase one though.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am
MMT Member

well said. Also as others mentioned, maintenance is a key. You better be mechanically inclined to work on em also. They all break in some sort of fashion.[/quote]

Yeah I’m not to worried about the break downs as much as I just had no idea how they would do on coastal mud as it’s a lot different than a lot of the videos I have seen On YouTube with the sloppy mud. I owned a mowing business for 7 years so have quite a bit of experience on working on similar motors. But thanks for the feed back guys! Got a few boats I’m looking at next week and hopefully will have a rig for next season.

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:15 am
MMT Elite Member

With hunting and fishing best in waters 6" to 3' deep - basically you want pros and
cons on different setups....

A 40 jet tiller motor and a 40 MM - very similar at about 7000 to 8000

A 17' Carolina Skiff with trailer and 40 jet tiller about 17,000 to 18,000

And 18' MM with trailer and 40 SD between 15,000 and 18,000

Pro on jet --- it will likely hold up better against salt water corrosion and get good fuel economy
Pro on jet --- faster and quicker out of the hole (60hp powerhead)
Con on jet ---it will need jet impeller rebuilds by a pro and water pump impellers annually
Con on jet ---it will not like 6" over mud as it will clog up with mud in powerhead
Con on jet ---it will not like running in areas with vegetation as it will clog up

Pro on MM --- works great over 6" softer bottoms and vegetation - running over 6" sand too
Pro on MM --- best fuel economy - nearly 10 mpg - overall economy
Pro on MM --- less than 6" sand chews away at prop - easy DIY 200.00 replacement every 100 hrs
Con on MM--- salt water hard on wiring and mufflers

Pretty close call but most here chose the MM many like myself after owning jets or outboards with jack plates and tunnels.... I did....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am
MMT Member

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:29 am
MMT Pro Member

I run mine 80% of the time in salt water in the Gulf. Absolutely no prob. just as long as you ALWAYS spray it down with fresh water. My routine is this:
1) take the air tube off the belt housing (MudBuddY) (So water doesn't get blown in the belt housing)
2) start the engine and spray mist water on and in the flywheel so it sprays water in on the motor. Spraying the entire motor for 2 to 3 minutes
3) Turn off the motor and continue spraying your boat and your wheel axles
4) Ole Timer showed me about this mixture (2/3 WD-40 and 1/3 motor oil) mix that in a spray bottle and spray your motor down while whipping it on the motor with a rag. Been doing this for years and my motor still looks like the day I bought it... 3 yrs ago.

It simply comes down to basics guys! "Take care of your equipment, and your equipment will take care of you!" Preventive maintenance is key!

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am
Profile YIM
MMT Elite Member

That's too much time spent on a Briggs that will wear itself out before the saltwater termites eat it up. Nothing on a Prodrive lower unit to rot. Haha

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I do the same thing boatguy and my go devil had a couple thousand hours on it when I sold it. My gatortail looks like the day I bought it as well.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:29 pm
MMT Elite Member

I spray corrosion x on it about once a month and that's it.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I don’t spray a solution on it but I do stop by the car wash place after every trip and wash it and hit it with the soap brush and that has kept it nice for me

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:37 am
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

Truth bro, we take pride in our vessels lol

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Surface drives actually do good in POC area. I hunt down there quite a bit and never have any problems. The bottom is half ass soft in a lot of places so you can get up fine. It’s a soft sand bottom so you’ll burn props, but if your careful is no big deal. And not many if any oysters to worry about.

I run Dewberry, shoal water and When it’s calm enough I cross over to Contee lake. Only time I ever have any trouble is getting into dewberry or Contee on an extremely low tide. I can make it work but it takes knowing the deeper spots.

I wouldn’t recommend a jet for POC...lots and lots of wigeon grass and jets don’t fare well in that grass. I ran one for years before the SD there and it was always getting clogged in the worst possible places. Plus you can get to the shallow stuff but can’t get back out, with the SD you can dig out if you had to.

Only thing that would be better would be a big airboat imo.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]