It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 HDR 5000 efi missing 
MMT Member

Post HDR 5000 efi missing
Hello, I am new to this forum looking for some help. Ordered a Prodigy 1854 with a Hdr 5000 efi last summer. The motor currently has 40 hours on it. It run for about 25 hours without any issues then it started fouling plugs and missing. Sometimes when the motor is first started it misses and idles at about 400 rpms. When I rev it up, it still misses then shuts off. I can turn key off then start again and sometimes it will miss again and sometimes it will run fine. Seems like a sensor/electrical issue, not sure. I have checked the crank sensor and it is set at .030. The fault light on the tach is not flashing. The plug fouling issue might be related to the idle issue. There is nobody in my area that is familiar with the 40 efi. Any help would be appreciated.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:54 am
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: HDR 5000 efi missing
Start with checking the valvetrain. Valves on any aftermarket head should be adjusted at about 10 hrs on the first round. make sure the valves have full lift. The 40 cam has some know issues where the cam lobes go away. Inspect the intake gaskets. They like to fail on the inside of the bolt pattern. Look for any wires rubbing around intake and where the harness goes under the intake. This is a place to start anyway

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:42 am
MMT Sponsor

And a good check for water in fuel

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am
MMT Member

Thanks for the reply Will C. I have checked the valves and they seem fine and are adjusted correctly. Fuel is good. Like I said, it only misses and idles low when first started. I can turn key off and start motor and sometimes it will run ok, sometimes I have to restart a few times. I adjusted crank sensor to .015 to see if that would help but it did not. All the wiring looks good. Also, I need to adjust the idle because it idles at about 950 which is good but when I put it in gear, while in the water, it wants to idle too low and die. Do I need software to adjust idle?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:08 am
MMT Pro Member

Dumb question, but why don't you bring it to a dealer and let them fix it? I would be careful adjusting or messing with to much in fear of voiding warranty.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 pm
MMT Member

Warranty is out, only one year. No dealers close. Would like to know more about my motor so I can repair quickly (hopefully) during hunting season.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Problems like this aren't repaired quickly on the water. You've got a gremlin. Check the coils to make sure one isnt loose or has a shorting wire, but it sound like there's an issue with the "brain". When it runs like crap, but turning the key off then cranking again fixes it, it's unlikely to be mechanical first. Air flowing through pathways at the wrong times (intake, valves, etc) wouldn't just stop completely like that. Same thing with a cam issue. The wiring harness was a known issue with these things originally, may be something wrong with yours. May not be the harness. Good luck.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:25 am
MMT 1000 Club

Oh, I'll add, everything that can be fixed on the water has been discussed and described in detail on this site in the past. If you want to be able to fix those things on the water, start reading. So many posts will be junk, but there are many that you'll find useful. Theres a sticky on the engines forum that has torque specs for all of the fasteners, theres a post somewhere about how to check stator output, etc. The one thing that's still a bit lacking is specific troubleshooting and fixing the EFI problems unless it was fuel pump or wiring harness related. Seems like those are typically a service shop's problem to fix.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:31 am
MMT Elite Member

Could be arc flash from the spark plugs and boots to the airdam briefly killing the cylinder. Been a problem for years, not isolated to carb or EFI. Make sure the boots and plug wires are not touching any metal. Wrap with good electrical tape or replace with ngk boots.

Edit, I didn't see the low rpm part. Probably not the case but wouldn't hurt to check.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]