It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Crankcase ticking sound 
MMT Member

Post Crankcase ticking sound
Guys, I need a little help.

I'm hearing a very noticeable ticking sound coming from my 35 Briggs Engine. Really started noticing this last year, don't remember it ticking like this years past, but not sure. Ruled out valve lash by setting to a tight .005 off the cam. Thought it could just be the tappets clicking but it seems to be coming from lower in the case around the PTO area. I listened around with a screwdriver around the case quite a bit but it's very difficult to tell where it's coming from for sure. I can kind of hear it throughout the case. Seems to slightly more noticeable down low.

Worried I may have a PTO bearing going or worse a connecting rod or wrist pin getting ready to turn loose. This engine is a 2008 mudbuddy35 HD, has factory rods and pistons, BPS cam, heavy pushrods, shimmed valves and factory rockers. Not sure what warning signs those give if any.

Has quite a few hours on it. Probably around 500 I would guess, maybe more.

Any help or thoughts on things to check would be appreciated

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:40 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: Crankcase ticking sound
Briggs are always ticking...

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:58 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I would doubt it's the wristpins or rods going at those hours. I havent been around any Briggs stock or otherwise to this point that didnt have a click. Some days it's louder than others. Mine always makes me check the lash due to that click, and it usually doesnt require adjustment. Its had 3 complete teardowns in 180 hours and no issues found. Keep the oil changed and dont worry about it until it goes, but I doubt the click is anything new.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 pm
MMT Member

Thanks Russ. It almost sounds like its coming from the clutch cover. When I pulled the vent house I could hear it pretty well but when I pulled the clutch cover I cant hear it as well again. Gotta be something attached to that PTO...

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

Just for piece of mind I would tear it down and make sure everything is right. Check torque and clearances.

It's better to know for sure that nothing is wrong, otherwise it will drive you nuts worrying about it.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:28 am
MMT Member

I would like too but duck hunt starts next week. Was going to do a tear down and rebuild last winter but I started having problems with my back and could hardly walk for much of the past year which still plague me a bit but is much better. Probably just going to take it easy on the motor and hope for no issues.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 am
MMT Pro Member

A week is plenty enough time to tear it down and put back together. You should only need a gasket kit as long as there is no internal damage.
Even if you miss a couple days of hunting its better than risking it and ending up having to rebuild or replace and engine cause of damage that could have been prevented.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]