It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Not your typical engine oil thread 
MMT Member

Post Not your typical engine oil thread
I have a 2018 backwater longtail with a 40hp motor. Last year I bought the motor half way through the season and only got to run it for about 3.8 hours before everything froze( changed the oil then). This year I finished the year with just over 10 hours of run time. I don’t have a very long run to our blind, about ten minutes. So I changed the oil today before I put it away for the year and the oil ( brigs synthetic 5-30) was a brownish green when I drained it from the crank case, and there was this white snot looking stuff under the full cap. Any idea if this is normal? I’d attach a photo of it if I could figure out how! The boat does get ran well below freezing to if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Not your typical engine oil thread
The white under the cap usually means water in the oil. Someone else who knows more will be along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The white stuff under the cap could just have been moisture and a bit of oil in the crankcase from the air when that cap was put back on. After some hot/cold cycles, it just kinda clung there because the plastic doesnt shed it like the smoothish metal inside of the case. Dont worry about that, just wipe it off. The greenish tint to the oil? Yeah, haven't seen that one unless it was 2 cycle oil.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 pm
MMT Member

Just looked at the half quart I had left over from the first oil change and it’s 4 stroke synthetic 5w-30

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]