It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Freezing/lubricating Throttle Cable 
MMT Pro Member

Post Freezing/lubricating Throttle Cable
After 3 years my throttle cable snapped off at the squeeze throttle and I ordered a replacement front Gatortail. I see they have a product that I can connect to the cable to spray WD-40 or something through it, but is there anything I can do without buying the item and still get antifreeze or something down the cable?

And are there any tips or experience with replacing the entire cable? Seems like I just put it back where the other one was but didn’t know if there was anything somebody has found to make it easier.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Freezing/lubricating Throttle Cable
You need to adjust the cable tension so that you get full travel out of the throttle.

I never bought the adapter thing. I kept a bottle of 3 in 1 oil on my hunt deck and dropped a little in when I walked by.

Others have taken a syringe and injected antifreeze into the cable and then capped with baseline etc on top. I never did any of that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I spent the 8 bucks on amazon to get the cable lube thing. Worth every penny since it seals and I know it's getting the whole cable. The other option is to squeeze the throttle, put some grease at the housing, let off the throttle. Do that a few times at both ends to drag the grease into the cable housing, and let that keep the water out so you dont have to worry about the middle getting corroded.

You can hang the cable vertical and squirt a little lube (dont use wd40, use a motorcycle cable lube or something that repels water and doesnt dry out) until it eventually runs out the other end. Do that every year and itll do the same thing, just be alot more tedious.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:41 pm
MMT F.E.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Also, stop using WD40
Use snowmobile throttle anti freeze spray.

Support your troops. We support you.

B.

B. MacDonald

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 am
MMT 1000 Club

For prevention, I use liquid silicone lube in a syringe (that won't eat cable sheath). I put the tiller handle straight up and fill as much as I can. After that, I put a dab of silicone plumbers grease at the end of each cable to keep moisture out. Never had a problem up here in Minnesota

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]