It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Throttle stuck WFO! 
MMT Pro Member

Post Throttle stuck WFO!
Throttle stuck yesterday on my Kohler 26.5 EFI. There is a bolt in the governor plate coming from the underside up with a couple of washers and a nut on top (nothing bolted to it). Throttle plate got stuck on top of that nut. Looks like it's a throttle stop? Is this needed, wont the coils keep it from over revving? I have to remove or replace it cause it aint safe. Never felt I was getting into the power band anyway, only getting 3600 rpm's. Could this throttle stop be part of that issue? Found an old post in longtail but it wasn't much help. Thanks in advance.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:21 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Throttle stuck WFO!
Mine is a Delphi EFI, I believe, and the ECU has a preset rpm of 4500 RPM. As per the service manual, it will cut off the fuel injectors to stop the engine going past that RPM. There is also a manual centrifugal governor. I had to buy a longer bolt for it so I could increase the tension on the governor spring which increased the max rpm the governor could hold the engine to. I basically added enough tension to take the centrifugal governor out of the picture. I am currently turning 4050 - 4200 rpms with a 9x6 prop on a Backwater longtail. Knock on wood, I have had no issues with the engine in 500 hours of use. The bolt I replaced with a longer one was listed as #30 in attached diagram. I believe the part number is "24 211 03-S" which as a description of "BOLT, RD HD SQ NECK M6X1.0X25 ". I am in no way the authority on these engines though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Throttle stuck WFO!
Thanks for the reply.Mines a little different. Removed the bolt. Now I'm hitting 3800 rpm's gained about 2 1/2 mph and it doesn't feel like its bogged down. But most of all no stuck throttle. Almost like a new motor. I may have to experiment with the governor and see if I can get more out of it. For now I'm happy though.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]