It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 23hp Mud Buddy Longtail Problem 

Post 23hp Mud Buddy Longtail Problem
I have a 23hp mud buddy long tail with a vanguard v twin on it. . The motor will run great when there is no load and the motor is out of the water. It will start right up and idle fine and will accelerate all the way up to about full throttle where it will surge (NOTE: this is without a load, but surging on these motors at full throttle are fairly common?) Im not too worried about the surging under no load as i am with the fact that when it is under a load put into water it will only get to about half throttle before it starts bogging out and backfiring, sounding like its misfiring or starving for fuel.Anything from half throttle up under a load will run very poorly and only get me around 10mph with just one person, obviously not running right. The motor has a working electric fuel pump, checked valve clearance and adjusted, new spark plugs, clean fuel tank, clean intake. IF anyone has had these issues or could point me in a direction to fixing the issue i would greatly appreciate it , Thanks !

ISSUE: Running very poorly when in water at about half throttle to full throttle, bogging, misfiring, backfiring, but will not bog down enough to shut off. Runs fine when out of water.

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 23hp Mud Buddy Longtail Problem
Sounds like clogged main jet on carb. That’ll starve the motor from fuel on the top end. Take carb apart and clean main jet really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

Or a leak in the fuel line, sucking air. Had both issues with my motor before with same symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:04 pm
MMT 1000 Club

All of the above, and yes, water in the gas will do this too. I know you said clean fuel tank, but check the gas just to make sure.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]