It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Frozen throttle cable 
MMT Member

Post Frozen throttle cable
Saturday morning here in S.C. it was 20 degrees when I woke up till shortly after sunrise. We don’t see those temps regularly so myself and 2 other boats all had the same problem. When we got to the landing our throttle cables were frozen and wouldn’t move. We all keep are boats in buildings until we head out but I guess the long cold ride up the road caused the issue. Any tips of tricks from the northern guys that deal with this regularly?? TIA

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Frozen throttle cable
For me it's about prevention. I use a vet syringe from a farm store and squirt liquid silicone lube down the cable (I put the handle straight up). This displaces any moisture in the cable and provides lube. You could probably use non-silicone, but silicone lube is rubber, plastic safe so it won't degrade the cable sheath.

Then I use silicone plumber's grease and put a dab at both ends of the cable to prevent moisture from entering. I do that at the beginning of each season and hunt in Minnesota and have never had a cable freeze.

If it does freeze, guys use alcohol followed by some type of liquid lube to thaw and then displace moisture.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:06 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Piss on it and it’ll free up. But prevention is a better solution. See previous post about injecting silicone and applying grease at both ends.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:34 am
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Awesome thanks!!

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:52 am
MMT Pro Member

You can buy a throttle cable lubricator that you can attach a can of lube/antifreeze kinda stuff and spray it down the entire cable. I bought one on Amazon last year when mine froze and worked perfectly. was only like $10 or so.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Snowmobile throttle spray

All I use. And I hunt -30°C or more up here

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

B. MacDonald

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]