It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Engine pulls down under load question 
MMT Member

Post Engine pulls down under load question
Yesterday while hunting my 2018 4400 hdr efi would not get my boat on plane. Ran fine the day before. The check engine light came on and I have error code 0336, crank shaft position noise error. Would this be the cause of the engine not behaving enough power to plane the boat out?

There was also a code p0118 head temp sensor fault stored in the ecu.

Any ideas? Engine is getting fuel and it’s fresh.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Engine pulls down under load question
Check fuel lines for air leaks. My EFI threw the same code due to a small air leak at the quick connect fitting at fuel tank. It caused a drop in pressure. Pulled fuel, just not enough to keep up at WOT. Motor would throw code and run in limp mode. I replaced QC fitting with a direct barb and replaced all fuel lines to 1/4”. Fixed problem, cleared codes and rolled out…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:24 pm
MMT Member

Just curious, how did you determine there was an air leak there? I have an excel with a fuel tank in the bow.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

..air bubbles in fuel filter while running and the fuel will drain out of fuel filter shortly after shutting down. Those are just two indicators. I’m sure someone else will chime in to help out also. You could also try the search feature. There may not be a lot of activity on here lately but there is a gold mine of information on this site that goes back several years. Your issue is quite common.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Your head temp sensor would also trip due to running lean from lack of positive fuel pressure

Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:15 pm
MMT Member

Thanks LT, I just noticed the fuel filter between the lifter pump and the fuel pump module would drain out right after I shut the key off. The fuel filter is half full at best, don’t know if that makes a difference

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

Bingo! Check all connections, especially any quick connects. I usually start having issues every other season, once I replace fuel lines problem goes away. I have a tank in the front and my line runs down the port gutter. Lots of sun and other crap in gutter puts excess wear and tear on fuel line.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:38 pm
MMT Member

New fuel lines and filters and it still runs like crap! Fuel filters are now staying full. Bad fuel maybe?

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

Could be. Wouldn’t hurt to remove and replace with some good non-ethanol fuel, treated with stabil. That crap they sell for regular fuel nowadays doesn’t last over 4-6wks. Most small engines won’t run right if they sit up for more than 2 months without regular use.

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:19 pm
MMT Sponsor

the crank sensor code is very common, usally no biggi. the temp is odd. i would check the valve lash. a leakdown test would be nice but i know not everyone is set up for that. while setting the valves use a flashlight and look down the pushrods. if you see a white ring about half way down on any of them that would indicate a popped headgasket. also remove front engine cover and inspect the intake gaskets where they bolt to the heads. it's common to have a vacuum leak here. that makes a lean and hot engine

Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I don’t know anything about efi’s, but I’ve had the same problem happen with a bad coil pack.

"You should be more concerned with watching football than making chit fall out the sky!!!"
- My Wife

Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:06 am
MMT Member

Well after I changed the fuel filters and fuel line I neglected to make sure the fuel line was “kink” free. The engine was starved for fuel and running lean (maybe the heat code)? After I cut some of the fuel line out and cleared the codes it runs like a top, 30mph up and down the Illinois river. Thanks for all the help!!

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]