It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm




Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs 
Author Message
Online
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 am
Posts: 50
Location: NJ
Post Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Hey guys,

Having problems gettin a 1754 up on plane. 35hp BT longtail stock motor. Thinking back a few years I had left the drain plug in from the end of the season til the next, literally hundreds of gallons of rainwater in the hull. Aside from stripping the blind and motor and driving down to the local scale I really have no way to tell if the foam is holding water or how much.

I need some advice. Should I assume this hull is water logged? If so what are my options. Also, Wtf is the little orange plastic plug next to the drain plug?

Thanks, John


Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm
Profile
Online
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm
Posts: 5289
Location: Trinity Bay - Texas
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
How many rpms are you turning ???

Is it possible your prop is worn out ???

_________________
Eat - Sleep - Hunt ! ! !

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."


Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile
Online
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm
Posts: 5289
Location: Trinity Bay - Texas
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Gigafowl wrote:
How many rpms are you turning ???

Is it possible your prop is worn out ???



If rpms are lo test out of water to see if it is the rev limiter holding you back
- most 35s should turn 4000 out of water -

Also if at 2000 rpm you disconnect one plug wire at a time and it dies you
may only be running on one cylinder

If you can turn 4000 rpm with prop buried deep in the water your prop
may be the issue

Good Luck

_________________
Eat - Sleep - Hunt ! ! !

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."


Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Profile
Online
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 am
Posts: 50
Location: NJ
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Gigafowl wrote:
Gigafowl wrote:
How many rpms are you turning ???

Is it possible your prop is worn out ???



If rpms are lo test out of water to see if it is the rev limiter holding you back
- most 35s should turn 4000 out of water -

Also if at 2000 rpm you disconnect one plug wire at a time and it dies you
may only be running on one cylinder

If you can turn 4000 rpm with prop buried deep in the water your prop
may be the issue

Good Luck


Gig, I have been chasing this problem for years. New prop, new carb, new fuel lines, cleaned all terminals. The motor just won’t push the boat. I suppose it will end up on the scale at the gravel yard. Excel no longer lists the weights but IIRC it’s 600 dry. Motor runs pretty good in shallow water, but will not plane in deep water or any soft mud. I’m a bit frustrated and don’t have anyone within driving distance who can help. I have tried everything, almost. The only thing I have not ruled out is waterlogged floor.

I have pulled a plug, it is running on both cylinders. I should hook up a tach but she will scoot over a sand bar, just not deep water or mud. I failed to mention, the motor bogs and limps down to one cylinder when under load, when the prop is submerged. The only time I can truly run is across 8” of hard bottom.


Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm
Profile
Online
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 am
Posts: 254
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
A tach and leakdown id start to see if it's an engine issue assuming spark and prop are good. Fair chance waterlogged foam is making a big difference too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 pm
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Posts: 2263
Location: West Coast Wisconsin
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Fill the hull up with water in the shallows and see if it floats. If not you foam is saturated. Keep a tow strap hooked up to the bow eye and drag it up the bank to drain after checking.


Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am
Profile
MMT Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:36 am
Posts: 706
Location: Jefferson TX
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Water logged floatation foam will "weep" water for days, tilt boat and trailer up (way up), leave for a day or two, if its still got water dripping out of drain plug its waterlogged.

_________________
SEAARK FX 2472 CC Merc 150HP 4Stroke(CypressCadillac)
Uncle J Custom - 19x54 CC Skiff w/35 GTR


Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am
Profile
Online
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 am
Posts: 50
Location: NJ
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
50: I am surrounded by salt water, I don’t know I feel that’s a solid solution but thanks.

Cypress: I am going to do that, not a bad idea.

I popped a plug out of the floor and I am 90% certain it’s water logged. The boat sat full of rain water for 9months and who knows how many times it froze and thawed from Jan til March. I will run it across a scale before I cut the floor.

Any idea what the second drain plug in the hunt deck is, plastic orange plug?


Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:48 pm
Profile
Online
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm
Posts: 149
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
I just finished up takin all the foam out of my hunt deck on my F4. Pry had 80-100 lbs of water and wet foam in there. I drilled two 6 inch holes on the top of the deck with a hole saw and got the t-h marine covers and rtv’ed the hell out of em. Pry also have to drill new drains on each side for the boat cuz water won’t drain worth a crap over the stringers. If you open it up you’ll see what I mean.


Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile
MMT Pro Member

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:50 am
Posts: 203
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
based on what you said with the hull sitting full of water, id say you have an extra 300lbs of weight in the boat. water is 7lbs per gallon plus the weight of the foam. all mud motors push better in shallow water when there is a little "pushback" on the prop from the water not being able to go anywhere. Deep water allows water around the prop to be pushed out and not trough the prop. that's why there is a noticeable bump in speed when you go from deep water to 1' of water.

regarding the bogging under a load, that's not normal. I'm not mechanically inclined but some of the guys in here can definitely help you in that.


Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 am
Profile
Online
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm
Posts: 5289
Location: Trinity Bay - Texas
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Buckmark311 wrote:
All mud motors push better in shallow water when there is a little "pushback" on the prop from the water not being able to go anywhere. Deep water allows water around the prop to be pushed out and not trough the prop. that's why there is a noticeable bump in speed when you go from deep water to 1' of water.


Uh - No....

Speed increases because the hull rises especially the transom and drag is reduced in
8" to a foot of water....

The science has nothing at all to do with the prop... It is because water does not compress
and the bottom in shallows makes it harder for the water to move away from the hull fast enough
effectively increasing it's perceived density and increasing the hull's perceived boyancy with
greatest perceived water density at the transom where it creates greatest lift....


Buyancy + fluid dynamics exerted on the hull = greater speed....

PS - clean fresh water is 8.34 pounds per gallon....

_________________
Eat - Sleep - Hunt ! ! !

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."


Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am
Profile
MMT Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:36 am
Posts: 706
Location: Jefferson TX
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
Gigafowl wrote:
Buckmark311 wrote:
All mud motors push better in shallow water when there is a little "pushback" on the prop from the water not being able to go anywhere. Deep water allows water around the prop to be pushed out and not trough the prop. that's why there is a noticeable bump in speed when you go from deep water to 1' of water.


Uh - No....

Speed increases because the hull rises especially the transom and drag is reduced in
8" to a foot of water....

The science has nothing at all to do with the prop... It is because water does not compress
and the bottom in shallows makes it harder for the water to move away from the hull fast enough
effectively increasing it's perceived density and increasing the hull's perceived boyancy with
greatest perceived water density at the transom where it creates greatest lift....

Buyancy + fluid dynamics exerted on the hull = greater speed....



Most people would call that the hydroplane effect!

But why does my boat gain 5 mph when going from shallow water to mud?

_________________
SEAARK FX 2472 CC Merc 150HP 4Stroke(CypressCadillac)
Uncle J Custom - 19x54 CC Skiff w/35 GTR


Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:49 am
Profile
MMT 1000 Club
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Posts: 2263
Location: West Coast Wisconsin
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
CypressCritter wrote:
Gigafowl wrote:
Buckmark311 wrote:
All mud motors push better in shallow water when there is a little "pushback" on the prop from the water not being able to go anywhere. Deep water allows water around the prop to be pushed out and not trough the prop. that's why there is a noticeable bump in speed when you go from deep water to 1' of water.


Uh - No....

Speed increases because the hull rises especially the transom and drag is reduced in
8" to a foot of water....

The science has nothing at all to do with the prop... It is because water does not compress
and the bottom in shallows makes it harder for the water to move away from the hull fast enough
effectively increasing it's perceived density and increasing the hull's perceived boyancy with
greatest perceived water density at the transom where it creates greatest lift....

Buyancy + fluid dynamics exerted on the hull = greater speed....



Most people would call that the hydroplane effect!

But why does my boat gain 5 mph when going from shallow water to mud?


The sticktion factor changes. :)


Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am
Profile
Online
MMT Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm
Posts: 5289
Location: Trinity Bay - Texas
Post Re: Excel F4 foam floor & drain plugs
CypressCritter wrote:
Gigafowl wrote:
Buckmark311 wrote:
All mud motors push better in shallow water when there is a little "pushback" on the prop from the water not being able to go anywhere. Deep water allows water around the prop to be pushed out and not trough the prop. that's why there is a noticeable bump in speed when you go from deep water to 1' of water.


Uh - No....

Speed increases because the hull rises especially the transom and drag is reduced in
8" to a foot of water....

The science has nothing at all to do with the prop... It is because water does not compress
and the bottom in shallows makes it harder for the water to move away from the hull fast enough
effectively increasing it's perceived density and increasing the hull's perceived boyancy with
greatest perceived water density at the transom where it creates greatest lift....

Buyancy + fluid dynamics exerted on the hull = greater speed....



Most people would call that the hydroplane effect!

But why does my boat gain 5 mph when going from shallow water to mud?



Pucker Effect ???

And full throttle grin ;)

_________________
Eat - Sleep - Hunt ! ! !

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."


Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: delfate16, Gigafowl, panther1, Tblue13 and 59 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: